1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Locked on mobo screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hillian, Apr 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

So the other day i had accidently saliced a wire form my powers supply and i didnt realize it til i plugged it in and it started to smoke and pop. So i turned it off immediatly and took that psu out and ordered a new one....got the enw one in today and got everything hooked up....i used my psu tester to make sure the psu was a good one.....it was....well i turn it on with everything plugged in and walla.....lights but no camera....so it comes up to the startup screen(ASUS for me) and just stays there.....ive let it run for 15 mins and it still didnt load....i reseated the cpu and everything and still no luck.....any suggestions.... :(

2. kronus

kronus

My money is on dead motherboard, but you'll have to do a little tinkering. First off clear the cmos and see if it will boot. If not, assemble the computer with only video, cpu, power supply, and ram. No hard drives or cd roms. Try to boot. If not, the only course is to try to swap parts if you can.

3. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

my green mobo light comes on tho....i shall try to clear the cmos tho

4. deHakkelaar

deHakkelaar

Do what kronus said but with only 1 memory module installed & try the other modules solo too.

If the machine beeps , post the beep order here pls ?

5. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

the machine didnt beep at all.....i did what ya's said...and still no bananas

6. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

Did you reset the bios?

7. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

8. deHakkelaar

deHakkelaar

If you are sure that all connectors are seated correctly and have tried minimal configuration , looks like your mobo is fried or even your CPU.

9. kronus

kronus

does it still lock on the ASUS screen?

10. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

it just stays on the asus screen.....the black screen that says asus and del for setup....but i cannot press del....like i press it and it does me no good....i do have a backup board....but not a cpu....i hope its the board.....any other options...?

11. kronus

kronus

Well, swapping the motherboard is a start. If indeed your board is toast, the backup should boot. Just don't try to load your existing windows setup. You need to rebuild the HAL before you can load windows. Again, set up the board without hard drives and see if you can get it to post.

I have to ask: how did you accidentaly snip a psu wire?

12. kronus

kronus

Have you tried to press TAB to see the post screen? That might have some info.

13. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

i accindently sliced a cord because i was putting sleeving on and i went to cut the extra off...and must have been a wire in there too....:( ill try the tab option

14. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

using tab...i have found that it reads my cpu or as they call it my main processor and it also reads my memory ok...says memory testing and reads all 4194304K...bad mobo then?

15. kronus

kronus

So, when can you press tab? Is the system truly hanging on the ASUS screen or can you wait a second and still press tab? Do the fans continue to spin or do they shut off right away? Do they spin up at all?

There is one way to check if it's a dead board, and that is to swap the board with the backup you said you had. If it's a socket 939.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/462524

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice