1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Locked Out (high resolution problem)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Donwan, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Donwan

Donwan Thread Starter

My question pertains to my other computer which runs Win 7 Home Edition. While attempting to eliminate password logon, I somehow managed to end up locked out. The welcome screen asks for a password which doesn't exist. I powered up in safe mode so to access the command prompt in an effort to bypass the password but high screen resolution will not allow it. Now, I have no way to fix the password problem because I can't access the command prompt. Repair Discs or Recovery Discs only get me to the welcome screen.

2. jenae

jenae

3. Donwan

Donwan Thread Starter

Thanks, but once I've selected Safe Mode With Command Prompt, the screen goes black with error message saying resolution to high to display. If I choose Enable Low Resolution I lose the option of choosing the Command Prompt. If I restart to return to Safe Mode, the high resolution returns. The only way I'm aware of to bypass password logon is to use the command prompt and appropriate commands.

4. Donwan

Donwan Thread Starter

Since my original post was in the wrong forum, I will repost it here under Win 7.
    I had to disconnect my work computer because it became locked up when I somehow managed to delete all passwords. I now have a welcome screen requesting a password which doesn't exist and in fact never existed.
    I have been trying t access the Command Prompt in an attempt to issue appropriate commands that would bypass a password requirement. The problem is when I power on in Safe Mode and then choose Command Prompt in Safe Mode, the screen goes blank with error message saying resolution too high for display. If I restart and again in Safe Mode and choose Enable Low Resolution, the screen changes and the Command Prompt in Safe Mode is no longer available for execution. I'm stuck going in circles.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've merged your threads here. Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

If you need a thread to be moved Report it and ask for the move. As it turns out your August 3 thread was already in the Windows 7 forum.

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

Have you tried leaving the password blank and hitting enter? Some computers will ask you for a password when there is none and will accept the blank entry.

7. Donwan

Donwan Thread Starter

yes, but it didn't work. My problem all along was that the message at the very top of the screen, "hit any key to load from cd", after I selected from Bios to load from cd, was in very small print and was visible only a fraction of a second. The time was so short I missed it. When I finally realized I needed to hit a key, the repair disc loaded and I was able to restore to a working date. Thanks for your kind response.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!