1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Locked out of control panel!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by aSILENTfire, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aSILENTfire

aSILENTfire Thread Starter

When I right click in the bottom left corner and click control panel I get an error message saying:

::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0
    There is not enough free memory to run this program. Exit one of more programs, and then try again.

but I can still open the control panel through other means, like in file explorer... any idea how this happened?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What are the Specs of thsi machine?
    ------------------------------------------------
    TSG System Information Utility http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe
    Save to local machine (but remember where it is saved), the go to the folder and run the TSG SIU program.
    ------------------------------------------------

Did this machine come with Windows 8?
    Or is it a "Upgrade" to Windows 8?
    If upgrade, where did you get your copy of Windows 8?

3. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    An answer to DaveA's post will help. But , is this a normal installation or are you in a Virtual Machine. That message can occur a lot in VMs.

4. aSILENTfire

aSILENTfire Thread Starter

It seems the error was due to an incompatibility issue with Comodo firewall/HIPS and Windows 8.. I ended up uninstalling Comodo and resetting my system to factory settings as I have only had it for a few days anyway.

It looks like I'm going to stick to Windows firewall for now, I'm just having trouble configuring it for outgoing traffic.. I'll start another thread in General Security.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!