1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Locked out of Files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by duner80, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duner80

duner80 Thread Starter

Earlier today my friend was using my computer while I was at work. When I got home they told me that my computer did something weird and wouldn't boot up. I asked what happened and they said that they were in the middle of playing a game when the power went out and then came back on. When they turned the computer back on it would not boot all the way up to the XP login screen. I said alright, and sat down to see for myself.

When the computer boots up, the XP splash screen comes up and looks like it is loading, then, just before the login screen comes on, a blue screen comes up and says a Memory dump was performed and then it reboots. I rebooted 5 times and everytime it did the same thing and would not go to the boot screen. So I pulled out another HDD that I had and installed windows XP on it. Once that was all done I put that into the computer and it booted up fine. So I put my now non-log-in-able HDD as a slave and booted up again with the fresh HDD. Everything is fine, and after I got logged in the second HDD showed up under my computer. I opened it and I can see everything that was on the drive before.

Heres the thing though. I had my account password protected and my entire folder under Document and Settings made private. My question is, Is there ANY way possible for me to go in and somehow open that folder so I can get my stuff out of it? I have 4 years of stuff in there, and although I do back it up, my last backup was a month ago and I have added a lot of current school projects since then.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for the help in advance.

2. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

3. duner80

duner80 Thread Starter

I was able to take ownership of my files, but the few that I had encrypted (just playing around, but they are important) I can't access. I tried unchecking the encrypt checkbox but it said I didn't have the authorization. The HDD that everything is on that I need is still intact (just won't boot up fully) so is there a chance that somehow I can get the rest of my files?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!