1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

locked out of laptop help pls

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by xphome, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xphome

xphome Thread Starter

Hi.
    Typing this from phone as I lost my password to get into the windows system.
    I changed the password on windows live but laptop needs the old one which I just don't have.
    I need to get back in my laptop please.
    The whole point of setting a new pwd on my fone was to be able to get back into my laptop.
    I am now worried computer unusable
    I don't have a disc as my pc don't take disks but I do have recovery stick.
    I think my pc has malware on and the guys on a malware forum are currently helping me with that but I had to tell them I got locked out my laptop.
    I just wanna get back in and dunno why laptop has to have old pwd.
    It says "you can't sign into your pc right now. Go to account.look be.com to fix the problem or try the last password you used on this pc"
    I have reset my live.co. pwd but laptop needs old one.
    I reset it and accessed this on my fone.
    I'm gutted cos I don't wanna lose my computer.
    Mebbe I could refresh or reset but it might still want the password.
    I don't mind losing data but I don't wanna lose my computer all cos of a password
    The screen is a hat I get when I try to put a new password in
    Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I assume that you are using a live.com account as your computer login account. Yes?

If so, and the PC has internet access I think it should take the new password that you have set.

I also assume that you must have used a "password forgotten" procedure to change the live.com account. Right?

3. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    I am not familiar with "account.look be.com" but ,if as you suggest, it is a Microsoft "Live" account, it is not one of which I have knowledge. What was "Windows Live" (Your Microsoft live account on your Phone, perhaps?)
    However, try this:
    Go to https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx
    Select "I forgot my password"
    Fill in the detail, ie. your mail id and the text shown in the image, and select next
    Open your mail box, copy the code, and paste it inside the box .
    Select next
    Change your password - and please make a note of it!

Now see if you can log in to your laptop with your new password.

4. Tabvla

Tabvla

The "account.look.be.com" enables a User (who logs into their computer with an Outlook.com login) to open their Outlook.com account in a Browser window without having to enter their login details. Of course if a User uses Bing as their Homepage then all they need do is click on the menu item OUTLOOK.COM.

There must be other (more useful) uses for it that I am not aware of. But to the very limited extent of my knowledge of the subject, as far as I know the user has to have already logged in to their computer to get it to work - sort of a chicken & egg scenario..?

T.

5. davehc

First Name:
    David
    Hmm. Interesting.- Doesn't work like that in my case though.
    I am logged in "live" with my outlook.com details. But I am able to log in to my Outlook mail (My default) without anything further.
    But curiosity. Reading your explanation again, where does that address fit in to the procedure?

6. xphome

xphome Thread Starter

Hi everyone and thanks for the speedy reply.
    I confirm that I need my windows live.com password to log into my laptop.
    Despite changing my password on live.com using my phone I still get that blue screen with a white box, asking for the last password I used to log into my laptop.
    I have a windows 8.1 recovery media flash drive which I have tried to use but it does bugger all and I am still getting that hopeless screen asking me for my password which I just don't have.
    I updated my windows live.com pwd using my phone but the laptop needs the last password I used on it and I don't have a clue.
    I am administrator

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I refuse to use other than a local account for a computer login, so I have no experience with this. After changing the password have you started the PC with a power on (not just continuing from a previous failure)? Does the PC have internet access? (To improve the odds of the last answer being 'yes' I'd be using an ethernet connection.)

Does "does bugger all" mean that the flash drive does not boot? If so, have you tried booting it on another computer?

8. davehc

First Name:
    David
    And confirm you went to the link I gave to change your password?
    I am about to think Terrynet's suggestion is the closest to the problem, ie. You do not have an internet connection.

The message you would get, with an internet connection, would be "The password is incorrect. Make sure you are using the password for your Microsoft account" indicates no connection/contact.. You can always reset it at https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx
    The message you are receiving, ""you can't sign into your pc right now", indicates no internet or contact.

Do you have a button somewhere on the laptop, which is used to turn on the internet devices?

9. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

If you have had the computer with the password issue, and also have another with Windows 8.1....and then upgraded the password-problem computer..... what I have had happen, is the same password for the Microsoft account and the desktop background also did on mine... jump to the other machine.... I swear! The SAME background picture, which is of my grandson....and the SAME password are on my two 8.1 laptops, one a Gateway and one a Dell. The first time I logged onto the second machine after upgrading it to 8.1, I had to use the Microsoft account p/wd that I only ever had used on the Dell. In fact, I was using a local account on the Gateway then got the free 8.1 upgrade when the above ocurred.

Can't say that is what happened to you, and you did not post anything saying you have a second computer .... it's just something I saw happen here.

10. xphome

xphome Thread Starter

Hills

I definitely have got an internet connection and the password I use for live.com is also the one that let's me in windows, ie on my computer.

I have used the link to change the live.com password using my phone but it keeps me locked out and asks me to either go to accounts.live.com to sort the problem or try the last password I used on that pc.
    I do confirm that the password I need is definitely the old one but I don't know why.

I have emailed Microsoft but they have not responded.

Please could anyone tell me why I still need the old password.

I also tried switching off my router. I also tried rebooting and closing down the computer.

Thanks

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice