Locked out of my computer via BitLocker

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

NLee11

Hello... I have a proplem. So my f keys suddenly had different functions such as the F3 (volume up) suddenly started bringing up page search. (what ctrl F would do). I looked up some things, and i figured out that i should reset my Bios/Uefi to factory settings. After I did that my computer now requires me to put in a bitLocker key... My computer was set up with a microsoft account which i do not remember the password. The accounts recovery email is one that I do not know, and when we tried to recover the account from another email it did not work.

Couriant

James
Hello! is this a work computer? If not, then you will need to go to microsoft.com on another computer to reset the password.

Couriant

James
OK, you will need to access your account from a different machine where you can get the bitlocker key.

NLee11

Home laptop
I have tried to reset the password multiple times, are there any other options?
OK, you will need to access your account from a different machine where you can get the bitlocker key.
I cannot get the key unless I know my account and account password (i am not 100% sure what my account was) I am on another computer already, I have tried getting the password multiple times with the account im pretty sure i used to set up my windows laptop. Are there any other ways i can unlock my computer?

Couriant

James
No. BitLocker is designed to prevent unauthorized access. You should be able to do a forgot password when you go to https://account.microsoft.com and click on sign in. Enter the email address for the microsoft account that you use to log in, then click on Forgot Password.

1606940755654.png

If you are not able to get this information, you will need to do a complete install of Windows.

NLee11

I know how to click forgot password, as I've said, Ive tried that... can you give me more information on a complete install of windows? Im fine losing everything on my computer as pretty much everything is saved on google with my gmail account (different from my microsoft one).

cwwozniak

Chuck
If you have a computer from a major manufacturer and it came with Windows 10 pre-installed, it most likely has a recovery partition on the hard drive with an installer to return the primary partition to factory fresh condition. The exact method to run it depends on the manufacturer and model of the computer.

NLee11

If you have a computer from a major manufacturer and it came with Windows 10 pre-installed, it most likely has a recovery partition on the hard drive with an installer to return the primary partition to factory fresh condition. The exact method to run it depends on the manufacturer and model of the computer.
How do I find out what the steps are?
Dell Inspiron 15 -7579)

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online