Locked out of PC (during domain change)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gcgardne

In an attempt to correct a computers DNS settings.....
I removed it from the domain it couldn't connect to and changed its name to hosttemp
(joined workgroup temp)

Upon reboot I cannot logon to the machine locally or via domain,
I receive message
" . . . systems computer account in its primary domain is missing, check password ect"

However I cann see this pc as formerhostname.domain.local from the server but cannot connect to manage it or access files.

I cannot logon to this machine locally(HOSTTEMP) or via domain(domain.local) authorization,
What can I do?

I have added the former name, and current name to domain computers list in the Active Directory with no success

I need to gain access to these files, and get this computer on the network!
Thank you

If you changed the computer to be in a workgroup, you need a local account that has admin rights to change it back again.

VCS

If you do not know the Administrators password for the local account you can reset it using a Linux based CD Boot disk.

once you have logged on to the local machine you will be able to add it back to the domain.

I have a link where you can download the Linux bootdisk from but cannot post it here due to restrictions. PM me and I will send it to you

The most common configuration is that it is blank, no password.

Since you have XP Pro, you can log in with the administrator's account by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del-Del.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online