1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Locked out of system / fltmgr.sys BSOD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sleepyfool, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sleepyfool

sleepyfool Thread Starter

At this point I can't even get a Safe Mode DOS prompt with the capabilities of reading both CD and HDD. The best I was able to do was load a Win98 startup, read the CD, which was labeled C:, but any hope of using the files on the CD to repair the HDD are dashed... We'd like to be able to boot into the Win2k [Repair] function before resorting to a reinstall.

-User deleted ATI (video drivers) folder thinking it would revert Windows to default video driver.
    -Last known message from Windows: BSOD regarding "fltmgr.sys"
    -Microsoft says there might be a hotfix for such a problem, but we cannot get so much as a DOS prompt.
    -Loading old startup disk gets us access to the CD-ROM, but not to the HDD (if only to get to the hotfix).
    -IT Pro #3 (on phone) says "Use Repair" - no such luck, can't get that far. System hangs (for hours) just trying to load the Win2K CD.
    -Final IT advice: wipe HDD and reinstall everything
    [​IMG]
    Any thoughts on how to get DOS prompt with access to C: and CD (to run hotfix), or Repair (on OS CD) before we go in with a blow torch? System is a pretty big deal to User.

**I should mention, I have options of USB HDD enclosure and drive-slaving if there's something that can be done by accessing the drive from Windows on another machine.

2. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

I don't know if this is against the TOS to help you with this issue but I'd recommend taking the HDD out and connecting it as a slave to another computer and just backup the files from there, if the security setting alow you to.

Oh well.

3. sleepyfool

sleepyfool Thread Starter

Oh yes, we will copy the hard drive, but seeing as it was just deleting video folder that hosed the whole system, we're hoping there's a way to bypass into DOS or even Windows and patch it up.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice