1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Locked out of Windows and CD Drives dead

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimk99, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimk99

jimk99 Thread Starter

Here is the problem:
    1) A while back my computer (Compaq Presario desktop) stopped recognizing my two CD drives. Unsure how to reconnect them I “did without” for a while. Bottom line: No CD drives.

2) My computer has always botted up to the desktop. Then one day it inexplicably booted to the Window where you select “Owner” and then enter your Password. Except I don’t have a Password. Tried a few things off the Web (admin, leaving it blank, etc) but no luck. Bottom Line: cannot get into Windows (Windows XP).

3) Found one thing that says booting up off of the System CD and doing a “Repair install” should fix Problem #2. Unfortunately I do not have a CD drive to run it of of.

4) Attached an external CD drive in hopes of booting off of that. I go into Windows setup on startup and try to get the computer to recognize the external CD drive, but don’t know how to do it. I fear I have to get into Windows to do that which I cannot do because I don’t have a functioning CD drive (sort of a chicken and the egg type situation).

So here is my question:
    Is there a way in the Setup routine (at startup) to get the computer to recognize an external CD drive?
    If you know the answer to this question you can be my new best friend (or not, your choice).
    Thank you for any help you can offer.

2. PK-her0

PK-her0

can you boot to a usb device in your bios?

3. jimk99

jimk99 Thread Starter

Not sure,will have to try it out. Question: what type of USB device do you have in mind?

Thanks.

4. PK-her0

PK-her0

just a usb stick or drive

5. jimk99

jimk99 Thread Starter

Yes. I put in a memory stick and was able to find it in Boot Priority Setup.

At present in "Boot Device Priority" I now have set #1. to an external CD-ROM:

1. CD-ROM [MAT****ACD-ROM CR-175]

I have my Windows XP Home Edition CD in the external CD-ROM.

So the good news is I can get it to recognize a different bootup device. The bad news is that when I do the full reboot I still end up back at the Windows Welcome screen with "Owner" as my only choice.

Any thoughts?

Also, it dawns on me that I have not yet said "thank you" for your efforts in trying to help. So here goes.........Thank you!

6. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

The question now is basically how to get round a password. Our rules state we cannot give advice on password circumnavigation, however I dont think that this is really the original question.
    Its quite possible the way round is to install windows again. On the down side, this could lose data, and would almost certainly be an end to any installed programmes. Its possible you could copy data to another place, but with a windows lockout that might be difficult. I am a bit stuck, as it all comes back to the password circumnavigation thought. Think you may need a mod to advise now, as its getting close to rules :)

7. jimk99

jimk99 Thread Starter

Thanks for the post. I absolutely respect the rules regarding password circumnavigation and would not ask for any clandestine steps for doing so.

That is not really my goal. I have already been told that what I need to do is to do a Repair Install with my Windows XP CD. The problem I am trying to answer here is how to get at that CD (external CD drive?) given that my two internal CD drives are dead.

If I set my boot priority to my external CD drive and have the Windows CD in there I do not understand why the machine does not seem to do anything with it when I turn the machine off and then back on (i.e., I still end up back at the Windows Welcome screen where I am stuck.

So again, I am not really looking for advice on getting around the password but rather how to access an external CD drive.

Thanks!

8. jimk99

jimk99 Thread Starter

A followup, and yes, it appears to be "stupid question time".

I set my machine to boot first off of my external CD drive. I have my Windows XP Home Edition CD in there. It boots up and ends up back at Windows Welcome.

So here is my stupid question: it occurs to me that maybe my Windows XP Home Edition CD is not the same thing as a "bootable CD" and that my machine looks there on startup, does not find the boot information and then proceeds down the list of boot priorities and voila I end up back in the same place.

-Is this correct (at least likely)?
    -Will a bootable CD likely do the trick?
    -(Here is the big one) How do I create a bootable CD given that my two internal CD drives are dead and I am locked out of Windows?

You are probably wondering why they even let some people have computers in the first place.......

Thanks

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/768283

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice