1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Locked out of xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SUPAMNEO, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SUPAMNEO

SUPAMNEO Thread Starter

Ok i was messing with some settings in a debug user account group... my main user. And i changed something in the registry and had to suddenly shut down. So i start up again and could not get in at all. Any hints? I am currently using my admin account... but all my important folders are on that user!! How can i get them back??

thanks for any help

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What do you mean by you can't get in? Is it asking for a password to log in? :confused:

Unless someone else has a easy solution to your problem, you may be forced to reinstall the operating system and risk losing everything. :(

--------------------------------------------------------------------

3. SUPAMNEO

SUPAMNEO Thread Starter

It says you have been locked out of your account. Contact your system administrator. Fortunately i never used my admin xp account.. till now but everything important is saved on that user. That user is a member of the debug group on group policies.

well this is one way to learn for my 70-270 MCSA exam. *sighs*

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Be patient and let's see if someone else replies with an easy solution.

I know nothing about debug user account groups, so I'm of no help to you.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. valis

valis Moderator

can't you just use windows explorer to navigate to the files and copy them over? As admin, you should be able to take ownership of the files from that profile, and then do what you wish with them.

and the 70-270 is a snap. It's the 293 you gotta look out for. ;)

6. SUPAMNEO

SUPAMNEO Thread Starter

well.. am i able to take ownership of the files? because i tried to access them from the admin account and was denied access repeatedly. And if i reset the password do i Lose My documents or the just the encrypted stuff?? (i know i learnt something like that in class but cannot quite remember)

7. valis

valis Moderator

nope. Take ownership of the files while logged in as admin account. Once you do that, you can grant yourself (the admin) full control, and copy them over.

You should just be able to copy them anyhow. Have you tried copying via the command prompt? Far less picky.

8. SUPAMNEO

SUPAMNEO Thread Starter

Hi, ok i took ownership of the USER account but for some reason it won't allow me to do anything when it comes to my documents. Any ideas? I really need to get this stuff its got some C# stuff i was working on and all my other crap i have not yet backed up.

9. valis

valis Moderator

can't you just copy it over? Or burn it to disk then copy it from disk? Or put it on a thumb drive or something?

10. SUPAMNEO

SUPAMNEO Thread Starter

Ok i recovered everything...:D. Now what do i do about that locked out account?

11. valis

valis Moderator

create another one is the easiest thing and do NOT delete that old one, as you may still find data there you want.

12. SUPAMNEO

SUPAMNEO Thread Starter

any chance it will unlock itself again??

13. valis

valis Moderator

nope. Not unless you undid what you did to lock it.

I'd just create a new user account and copy your data into there. Shouldn't be that hard. Be sure to boot into safe mode to copy ntuser.dat and ntuser.bak.

14. SUPAMNEO

SUPAMNEO Thread Starter

stupid question but it won't let me add a new user.

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    valis:

Thanks for jumping in and resolving the problem. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice