1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Locked out without cd

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Slimjim1234, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Slimjim1234

Slimjim1234 Thread Starter

Hi,

I've been given a laptop by a friend which has windows 7 and I set up a password for the user account. Next time I open up the laptop my user account name has been replaced by uuid: 100000000-0000-000 etc and my password no longer works. My friend said this had happened to him previously when he had tried to put a password on. Now I have no access to the laptop and I don't have the cd to help either. Any ideas on what to do? I don't have any data on the computer so if there was a way I could somehow do a full reboot that would be fine. All the videos I've watched on YouTube require access to the computer to do a restore. And could I use any old windows 7 installation cd, or would it have to be the original one that was used to set up this particular computer?

Cheers

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the gift did not include a way to install or image Windows 7 you may need to buy an operating system or try a free one (Linux distribution, such as Ubuntu). Or, you may be able to buy a set of Recovery DVDs from the PC manufacturer for a reasonable price.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the brand name and model name and complete model number of that laptop?

What's the version of Windows that's on its Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker?

---------------------------------------------------------

4. Slimjim1234

Slimjim1234 Thread Starter

Thanks guys.
    Terrynet, no nothing like that. If I get say Ubuntu on a cd (if that's how it works) could I just put the cd in the laptop and that will just open a completely separate thing and bypass my issues with windows 7?
    And flavallee, it's an Acer Aspire 5750g. Sticker says Windows 7 Home Prem OA.

Cheers

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ubuntu requires a DVD (or USB flash drive) now. To use a CD you'd need Ubuntu from about five years ago. Puppy Linux, and I guess some other small Linux distributions, still fit on a CD.

You can boot to it and run most Linux distributions as a "Live CD" (or a DVD or flash drive) or you can install it.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Acer Aspire 5750G laptop comes with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

If you have a disc with that same Windows version, and if the 25-character product key on the COA sticker is readable, you should be good to go to do a clean reinstall in it.

---------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144776

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice