Locked out without cd

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Slimjim1234

Hi,

I've been given a laptop by a friend which has windows 7 and I set up a password for the user account. Next time I open up the laptop my user account name has been replaced by uuid: 100000000-0000-000 etc and my password no longer works. My friend said this had happened to him previously when he had tried to put a password on. Now I have no access to the laptop and I don't have the cd to help either. Any ideas on what to do? I don't have any data on the computer so if there was a way I could somehow do a full reboot that would be fine. All the videos I've watched on YouTube require access to the computer to do a restore. And could I use any old windows 7 installation cd, or would it have to be the original one that was used to set up this particular computer?

Cheers

TerryNet

Terry
If the gift did not include a way to install or image Windows 7 you may need to buy an operating system or try a free one (Linux distribution, such as Ubuntu). Or, you may be able to buy a set of Recovery DVDs from the PC manufacturer for a reasonable price.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What's the brand name and model name and complete model number of that laptop?

What's the version of Windows that's on its Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker?

---------------------------------------------------------

Slimjim1234

Thanks guys.
Terrynet, no nothing like that. If I get say Ubuntu on a cd (if that's how it works) could I just put the cd in the laptop and that will just open a completely separate thing and bypass my issues with windows 7?
And flavallee, it's an Acer Aspire 5750g. Sticker says Windows 7 Home Prem OA.

Cheers

TerryNet

Terry
Ubuntu requires a DVD (or USB flash drive) now. To use a CD you'd need Ubuntu from about five years ago. Puppy Linux, and I guess some other small Linux distributions, still fit on a CD.

You can boot to it and run most Linux distributions as a "Live CD" (or a DVD or flash drive) or you can install it.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
flavallee, it's an Acer Aspire 5750g. Sticker says Windows 7 Home Prem OA
The Acer Aspire 5750G laptop comes with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

If you have a disc with that same Windows version, and if the 25-character product key on the COA sticker is readable, you should be good to go to do a clean reinstall in it.

---------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts