locked wallpaper

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nanchar

I used Windows XP Home Edition. I have a desktop wallpaper that is locked in, and I can't change it. I go to control panel, display and wallpaper and try to change it but it remains. I even got it deleted one, and it stayed. The wallpaper I select to try and change it shows up briefly and then disappears and then the locked one comes up again.

Go to Start | Run

Type in regedit

In the left Pane, find the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\ActiveDesktop

In the right Pane, see if there is a DWORD called NoChangingWallpaper.

If there is, double click it and change the value to 0 (zero)

It may not be there so also check
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop

nanchar

I tried to do what you suggested but was unable to find the items you named. I will keep trying. Thanks for your efforts to help me.

heyas;

can we sorta resurrect this topic? i'm having the same problem. here are the details:

i don't have the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\ActiveDesktop
registry key in my registry.

i CAN change the wallpaper to any wallpaper that comes with xp. i also did a web pic right click and set as wallpaper, and that is now listed as "firefox wallpaper" in the list with the xp default images. i CAN change to and from that.

what i CAN'T do is this: browse to any other image on my machine, either telling the browse box to look for background images, or for the *.gif, *.jpg, *.bmp etc... and either double-click or hit the 'open' button to select my image. upon double-clicking or hitting 'open,' the browse dialogue goes away, and my image is not opened nor loaded nor selected nor used as wallpaper.
xp just ignores me. i HATE that!

also note:

i am using a 'theme' which is "windows classic (modified)". ie: the old style windows and taksbar, not the xp things, and my custom colours. the appearance setting for windows is "classic".
i have about every advanced desktop thing turned off, no icons, no fancy fx, etc.
i have powertoys installed. dunno if that means anything. the tweak ui just has all the desktop icons turned off.

the wallpaper isn't actually locked, since i can change it, but only to images in the base directory??

ramony

It's My Birthday!
hi all,

try this.
1. click on start > run
2. type gpedit.msc, then click Ok

* you can refer to the attached file
3. on the group policy window, expand the user configuration
4. expand administrative templates
5. expand control panel
6. click on display
7. enable / disable the policies on the right pane

hope this solves your problem. :)

Attachments

hey, i want to bring this subject back up a bit, didnt feel like opening a new thread.

I'm having the same problem as blrender. i can browse for new wallpapers but i cannot actually change them. I can change BMP files but not JPG or GIF etc. I even disabled the *only allow BMP files to be set as desktop* in the gpedit.msc. Can someone help me out? THanks.

ramony

It's My Birthday!
hi I[Cant]Win,

Have you disabled the "Prevent changing wallpaper" policy in gpedit.msc?

-ramony

yeah i did. I'm running an XP Home Edition if if matters. Before, I can change my background images to anything i wish. Now, i cant.

I tried looking for the WEB option in the Display Settings but alas i cannot find.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online