1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Locking in Loading screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TOW-fixxxer, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TOW-fixxxer

TOW-fixxxer Thread Starter

Ok I got a computer to fix and heres the deal, The guy has Winodows XP media edition, and he claims he was plugging his ethernet cable in the back of his comp because it was in a surge protecter and he wanted to direct connect it to his comp instead of to the surge protecter to his comp (dont ask me why) and he accidently bumped the power plug on his comp and it shut off, so he rebooted and now when it reboots to windows XP media editon, it freezes on the black screen where the loading bar shows. I can get it booted in Safe Mode and I can even access the internet, if i boot it with safe mode with network support, So i have to ask, what could it being randomly unplugged do to XP to get it to stop booting normally. the guy said his comp was idle, he had nothing opened, he said he tried letting it sit once it locked and nothing, then he tried system restores and nothing worked, I looked at it for 1 hr, and the things i tried was, disabling everything in the "msconfig" that started, and nothing, I was going to run scan disk but it doesnt exist in his comp as far as I checked, so im asking you guys if you have any ideas? I was gonna try reinstalling windows over itself but his comp is a viao and he said it didnt come with restore disks or a windows MC disk. so can anyone give me any suggestions!

2. TOW-fixxxer

I Thought I might be able to reinstall windows with a ergular XP cd would that have any conflicts with Windows XP media edition?

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

What you are going to need is the recovery disk for this machine. I suggest looking for a hidden or extra partition on the hard drive and if you can not find it you will have to call Sony tech support and purchase a disk. You will have to do this because this is a special cd set and it is for Media edition and you can not re-install with any other software than that if you want the Media edition back on the computer.

Also I suggest backing up all of the important data on this computer just incase a full re-install is called for.

4. dobbelina

dobbelina

Scandisk/checkdisk should be there if you rightclick the C: drive under Properties=> tools.

5. TOW-fixxxer

well I'm sure he had scandisk but I only had like 1hr. to look and i was being rushed so u checked under system tools of the accessories folder, and it wasnt there and i was going to run a scan disk last because i had to leave anyway, i doubt a scan disk will fix it, i mean why7 would it lock up in regular windows but not safe mode?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!