1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Locking the background in XP pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by general_fail, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. general_fail

general_fail Thread Starter

I was wanting to know where I can lock the background for XP, or just remove the tab in video settings(right clicking desktop and going to properties) so *******s can't change my settings x.x I know I can do it with programs like tweak now power pack, but I don't have those at work, nor can I install them.

And WORD REMOVED is in the filters? o_O since when was that a derogatory word?

Language edited by AcaCandy.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

As far as I know you can do this with a GPO under -

User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Desktop | Active Desktop | Wallpaper

and make the appropriate changes there. This should set it to what you want. I don't know if it prhibits them from changing it altogether but if they can change it upon reboot it should change back.

3. Kitch

Kitch

Probably since people like yourself started using it in a derogatory context . . . . :D

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Stumpy is right about that and there should be a policy in their somewhere to keep them from changing it or that same policy keeps them from changing it. I know you can keep them from changing the screensaver so I would assume you can keep them from changing the Background as well.

5. general_fail

Either way, filters are um... ghey :þ

PS... what the heck is a GPO?

And there is a way to do it cause like I said, you can do it with a thirdparty program

6. general_fail

*bump*

Still not solved and everyone is clueless? -.-

7. DBClark

DBClark

One way to do it would be to rename the local users (ntuser.dat file to ntuser.man). They can still make changes while logged on, but would default back to whatever the settings were before renaming the file.

8. Squashman

start > run > gpedit.msc

9. general_fail

I don't think I'm explaining myself enough...

There is a registry setting to remove the tab in Display > Desktop so you can't change anything... BUT... like I said, I have no clue where or how to do it since I used a 3rd party program ._.

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

It always has been, I'd suggest you not use it again, and review the forum rules.

11. Squashman

I am sure you can do it with a Registry Setting. You could do it Windows 98 but since 2000 and XP Pro have group policy settings you would be better off using that. It is much easier to set in a group policy setting then in the Registry.

if you dont' like our suggestion google search for the Registry setting.

12. general_fail

I have, all XP related and not to the topics I was looking for -.-

ARG.... I hate google, it's so cluttered with BS anymore you can't find the crap you freaking need...

13. Squashman

14. general_fail

BINGO! Thanks!

15. Squashman

This is the same advice StumpedTechy gave you in his first post. Resistance is futile. Just do it! And Git-R-Done!!!!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!