Locking up in IE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kwaite

Hi all,

Got a problem at work. I have a few users locking up constantly using I.E. 5.5. I ran the normal spyware check removed all the ad's stuff. I Made sure that Av - mcafee is up to date. When using I.E. the users go to three or four sites then lock up. Then the users would have to do a hard reboot. On some machines I uninstalled and reinstalled I.E. 5.5 with updates the same problem happens. Cleaned all temps *.tmp ~*.* and internet temp directory and wiped out cookies and everything else I could to make I.E. clean. By the way I even did the scandisk and defrag thing still same problem. And checked file dates to make sure OS version are correct (which some people don't understand). I rebuilt one machine it now works perfectly. The machines are not overheating and every machine in this institution is running low on memory. I even tried updating memory on the machines that locked up, same problem. Anymore suggestions before I would say that the Firewall buffers which are running about 60-70% full is causing a problem. Yet one machine was fully rebuilt and working fine.

Any suggestion would help ?
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Check msconfig and see what programs are running in the background. A list of the most common programs are listed on my website under "msconfig"

http://www.rselby.com/Windows

Try removing all programs from the startup tab that are not needed.

Kwaite

Thanks rkselby98 I tried that also at one point remove the Mcafee scanner to see which was the last thing in there. But as per your suggestion I did try it again on two other machines. In 95 you have to use the poledit feature to see the internals startup easy or know the right reg keys to remove the startup items. But thanks for your suggestions.

What I am starting to hear is that a few people all over is having the same problem. In Both Microsoft unsupported 95 and 98.

One last suggestion, have you tried to run it in safe mode. Maybe this will find the problem and fix it.

Kwaite

Thanks again rkselby98. Yes I tried the safe mode thing as a shot hoping the windows would be smart enough to find the problem NO can do.

I found a few write up on technet.

Article Q175232 refers to why the entire machines would hang. This only is when the Windows desktop Component is installed when you install I.E. 5.x. By the way I have not found a way to turn it off in I.E. 5.5.. It explains the full system hang.

The next article is, what I was thinking the Proxy has something to do with it. Article Q220902 - This thing is to remove the the autodetect of proxy feature. It causes problems behind a firewall using the Windows Nt challege/response authentication of the proxy server when you inable access control. It's better to know what you are doing than to use Plug and Pray.

Finally Article Q232484 talks about the clicking on a URL I.E. Hangs. When behind a fire wall using a old proxy server use Http 1.1 support through proxy connections. The default is without a proxy setting. This one was there all along.

Why so intermittance the problem is the next question. That a M.S. thing as we all know. Sometimes it will work and sometime we can only make it work better. I wonder if Gates is having anymore crashed while he is introducing something he took from someone else.

Now the funny thing is that the proxy was setup with a proxy setting. The administrators decide once again the make things better by setting another proxy without our old strings. Months later and a few more changes that no one knows about, cause the three problems to surface on only a few computers.

Is there a Nt Administrator Job or System Analysis Job out there for me?

Good job, now let's not get to confidence for once you do Gates will have to change things again and then the rest of us will have to start over again.

Kwaite

Your right. I am glad it's over for now. Now I have to figure out a bottle neck problem. I wonder if this one is Gates. I notice that P.C. are running faster off the network than on. I do beleive that we have 100 meg lines out of the server room. I am not sure too much with people that say things never change.

The saga continues same bat time same same bat place.

Thanks again for your help rkselby98 thanks for the guidance.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online