1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lockout virus and cannot boot in safe mode

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by renaek, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. renaek

renaek Thread Starter

Hi techs, I did read the instructions about including logs in the initial post and I promise I'm not someone who ignores instructions! I am locked out completely by a virus pretending to be the Australian Federal Police, alt-ctrl-del works so I can open task manager but that's it, I can do nothing else.

I can boot in safe mode with command prompt and have tried running System Configuration and looked for anything unusual in start up - nothing there. If I kill the virus' ctfmon.exe of course it starts right back up again.

I can not boot in safe mode or safe mode with networking, it just continually restarts itself in a never ending loop. I do not know if this is related to the virus or a Windows 7 issue.

I have tried creating a kick start on a USB from Hitman Pro which claimed to be able to kill this virus. The kickstart ran, scanned the pc, found nothing and on closing it the virus was still there.

If I could get into safe mode I'm sure I could find a virus scan that could kill it.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit. I do not have the OS CD, the pc was bought off the shelf with everything preloaded.

I hope I have given enough information. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1093161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice