1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Locks up after being on all day.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by orianna, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. orianna

orianna Thread Starter

If I have left the computer on all day, having not used it since bedtime, in the morning, more times than not, it is frozen and most times I cannot shut down unless I just pull the plug. Does anyone know why and how to stop this? Obviously, I should shut down before bedtime, but sometimes, just forget. Thanks!

2. HCD

HCD

At what point does it freeze? i.e. after how long? Can you bring up Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del at the same time? What operating system are you using?....XP/Vista....? Have you installed all latest microsoft updates?

3. orianna

orianna Thread Starter

I really don't know to your first question. Sometimes in the evening, I go on to look something up as late as 10 PM-11PM. I have XP, and have tried the C/Alt/Del and it doesn't work...nothing happens. I automatically install updates. When it happens, actually, most all times, I can't even use C/Alt/Del as nothing happens as if the keys don't work, but sometimes, rarely, I can try to X out of a window that's up, it will act as if it's going to close showing the busy icon, but then just stays that way, forever. Any ideas? Thanks for answering.:confused:

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Do you have hibernate enabled? What does the bios show for power management standby setting? S1 or S3? What do Power Options call for "Power Schemes".

5. Megabite

Megabite

Try some Virus scans...also could be a heat issue

Does it only do this after being on awhile??

6. orianna

orianna Thread Starter

when its been on for a while, at least more consistently then, but this thing just picks times at what seems randomly at any time while browsing etc. I can understand some reasons why everyone may have this issue with busy sites, etc, but it just makes me feel like I need to clean house all the time, and I know that's not the case. I have spent more time unplugging the darn thing than I ever have, and I know that's not good either.

Any more questions? and I do so much appreciate your help. I haven't answered lately because my system was down due to a bad switch (KVM) that needed replacing. Didn't want you all to think I just up and left lol. Thanks

7. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

Right starting again, have you checked event viewer?

Look for anything with a Red X or Yellow ! around the time you think it may have locked up.

If you find an error then head over to www.eventid.net and search the Event ID and source.

Then view thew comments to see how others resolved the issue

8. orianna

orianna Thread Starter

Know I've seen it around...checked out Task Mgr, but no cigar....Help plssss

9. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

Did you do as I said and have a look in the event viewer? START > RUN > eventvwr > OK

10. orianna

orianna Thread Starter

I checked this and found several red and yellow warnings and tried to read more about them. Some is just over my head as far as what to do...some say there is no need to take action, and others get more complicated.

Under Applications: Red: Appl errors, a lot of yellow alerts: Automatic Update scheduler, gusvc, userenv, RED Automatic Live Update Scheduler, 2 more application errors, Red ERROR MsiInsstaller, and a few more Automatic Life Update Schedulers.

Under Security: Sucess Audits with a yellow key..all the same.

System:
    Yellow warning - W32 time (13)
    Red error- Netlogon (28)
    Yellow warning - Tcpip (11)
    Red Error: Service Control Manager (2) [ 78 in sequence near end of list.]
    Red error: DCOM (2)
    Yellow warning: Dhcp (6)

I have to laugh, but I sure hope drudging all this up will be of help; otherwisem you old me a neck rub! lol. Please let me know whacha think! Thanks, Kelly:eek:

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice