1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lockup during playback of video and/or screensaver (XP Pro)?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by OOT, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OOT

OOT Thread Starter

OK. First off let me apologize because I am VERY VERY new to this. I know very little about hardware/software conflicts. I have done a lot of Googling and tryied a lot of different things, but still I'm getting a lockup.

It's a Windows XP SP2 with all current updates. 1 gig RAM, 400 gig SATA HD, AMD Sempron processor and an ECS 755-A2 motherboard.

The system seems to be running OK. I don't have a lot of stuff loaded (other than all Windows updates). I have loaded several anti-spyware (Ad-Aware SE Personal, AVG 7.5 Free, CCleaner, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, StartUp Inspector, SUPERAntiSpyware Free), a DIVX bundle (6.4), Java Runtime Environment, Macromedia Flash Player and Shockwave Player, Firefox 2.0.0.1 and Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5.x). Everything is free except for the DIVX bundle which is paid for.

Initially I kept getting a "disk controller error". And occasional lockups. Then, after much Googling, I downloaded the latest video, sound, lan, raid, ide, bios, flashbios, modem, usb, etc. from the manufacturers websites. I installed, then re-updated Windows (which had nothing new to add).

So here's the history. When I first installed the new HD, I installed XP SP2. Then, after the usual barrage of updates, I would run the computer. I had no lockups. But, when I would leave the computer on and go away for a couple of hours, I would come back and the computer would be locked up. The HD LED light would be a solid RED and the only thing I could do was hit the reset button. It always happened when screensaver was on (as far as I could tell). But when I went to Event Viewer -> System ... the only error I would see was a disk controller error (I think it was number 51 or something). After more Googling, I updated everything I could think of.

Now, the computer seems to work fine EXCEPT when I'm watch a video OR the computer is coming out of the screen saver mode. When I'm watching a video it will sometimes freeze up. The audio will continue (for a minute or so) but the video is like a freeze-frame. Then, after a minute or so, the HD LED stays lit, the mouse won't move the cursor and I have to hit Reset on the computer. After it restarts, I go to Event Viewer -> System and nothing is there.

Now I have the screen saver turned off. After 20 minutes it is supposed to turn the monitor off (via the Power settings). Sometimes (not 100% of the time but maybe 70 or 80%) I get an error about the kernel? Below is the listing you'll see from my most recent Event Viewer -> System files.

I've separated the different messages with the line of asterisks. I hope that helps in readability:
    It doesn't seem to matter if I watch the video's in WMP 11.0 or the DIVX player, it still locks up. The strange thing is that sometimes it locks up 2 or 3 times during a 1 hour show and sometimes I can watch 3 or 4 videos without a lockup.

I am REALLY hoping I don't have to reinstall everything but I will if that is what is necessary. A friend told me I need to update my motherboard (apparently ECS is a POS)? I am hoping to avoid that but will do so if it will ease these problems.

Thanks. I am sorry for the rambling thread but I'm new here ( and to computers). I hope I provided the necessary information. If anything else is needed, please let me know. The big problem I see is that this error seems to happen sporadically so it's kind of hard to trap. Plus it doesn't leave any messages (that my limited experiences) have been able to find.

Thanks again. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

OOT

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy...

These errors usually point to a hardware failure (either memory, hard drive, or controller)...

Try downloading Memtest http://www.memtest86.com/ and double click on the downloaded file and let it create the bootable floppy, boot with the floppy and let it test the memory...

Next try downloading the diagnostice for the hard drive form the manufacture and run the tests (non destructive)...

Did the disk controller errors go away after you updated the drivers for the motherboard?

3. OOT

OOT Thread Starter

"Did the disk controller errors go away after you updated the drivers for the motherboard?"

They appear to have gone away. I did get a "disk" error (same as mentioned above) when I had an external USB 2.0 disk connected. But if I leave that disconnected, then I haven't seen the disk error again.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try them when I get home tonight. I had read somewhere about the possibility of it being the RAM but I would have thought that would happen more often (not just when running videos or in screen saver mode). But then again, I'm a total newbie so what do I know :)

Again, thanks for the suggestion and I will do those things tonight when I get home. I'll let everyone know how it goes. If there are any other suggestions, I'm open to them. I'll do whatever it takes as I just want the system to run as smoothly as possible.

Thanks

OOT

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537326

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice