1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lockup on partition screen(XP)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by skip113, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skip113

skip113 Thread Starter

When trying to do a duel boot complete install of XP I get to the screen that gives you the option of setting up a new partition by pressing the "C" button and at this point it locks up and the only key that works is the F3 to exit install. How can I get past this?
    What is causing it? I need some help "PLEASE" before I go mad!

2. Dan O

Dan O

I have not heard of that problem before. Do you want XP in a different parition? It does not have to be if your don't what it. If you do, to grease the skids as they say, I would try creating the partition first then install XP. I like Partition Magic, which is very reliable. Good luck. Cheers.

3. skip113

skip113 Thread Starter

up to mow I still have not solved this problem

4. Dan O

Dan O

Yes the C should have worked. But I guess you did not understand my point. If the XP installer is having a problem creating the partition, I suggested you do it first using Fdisk or a third party disk manager like Partition Magic. It's a workaround, which you sometime have to do. Maybe some one else who has expericenced the problem and will reply.

Good luck.

5. skip113

skip113 Thread Starter

I have a partition manager called acronis OS but I have never done anything like this before. I am on the lower end of the learning curve and am a bit apprehensive about it.

6. Massive

Massive

Actually in my case what happens is that Partion Magic freezes up in WinXP Professional

7. Dan O

Dan O

Skip,

You can do it, by being on this forum and asking questions shows you are on your way to becoming a computer expert.

Massive,

You need to upgrade to Partition Magic version 7.0 to use it within XP, or you can make and use the Partition Magic Boot floppy set which runs in DOS mode.

8. skip113

skip113 Thread Starter

Got XP in, not the way I wanted, had a mega crash and had to start from scratch. Not sure if I like XP, maybe on to find out how to get back to ME we will see.
    Thanks for all the help.

9. Dan O

Dan O

That good news. The new XP user interface takes a little time to get use to but you can change it to operate and appear like Win9X.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!