1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lockup, presumably video related. (EQ, RtCW, WC3)

Discussion in 'Games' started by xilsharn, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xilsharn

xilsharn Thread Starter

Greetings, this is my first post to these forums.

I live in Coastal North Carolina, USA, and we just got through a mild hurricane. Last night I unplugged all electronic equipment because I have no surge protector.

My wife decided it would be a good idea to plug the computer back in and use it briefly while I was asleep. The power flickered a few times then went out for a couple of hours in the early afternoon.

When the power came back on, I tried loading Return to Castle wolfenstein multiplayer, and the computer locked up directly after the loading dialogue that pops up on the windows desktop, presumably right before it "tapped into" the video drivers (not sure exactly how loading a graphics intensive program into memory and how it accesses video memory works). I tried loading EverQuest, and it, too, locked up my machine when it went to the server load screen (after server select, before character select..)

Nervously I tried WC3, expecting it to lock up, but it did not. I played it smoothly with no lockups.

I used dxdiag to test my video card and everything seemed to be working correctly. Anything more than that is beyond my limited realm of experience with video cards.

Any advice?

2. McTimson

McTimson

Try reinstalling the video drivers, and possibly reinstalling the games as well.

Also, do a scandisk and a defrag on your hard drive. The power flickerings may have caused the hard drive to mess something up.

3. bluecast

bluecast

Did you experience any lockups before the hurricane?

and I do recommend you get a surge protector.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice