1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lockup problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deuce, Jan 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

I just finished building a 900 Celeron machine for somebody and it's having problems now. First, when I built it I accidentally brushed my thumb on the core when clamping it down and so damaged the thermal grease that comes with it. The only grease I could get in this stupid town was silicon, which apparenty didn't do too well. The whole time I spent getting it configured and setup and things loaded it never once froze, but cover was never on then and had lots of air to breath. Now client complains it freezes frequently (4 or so times a day) when doing things as little as reading email. I checked it out and it now idles at 47C as soon as you turn it on. I ordered some silver thermal compound online and hope that will fix it. My guess is it keeps locking up when it gets to hot. There is one cpu fan and one case fan and I'm guessing it is mostly this cheap silicone that is causing the problem. However, computer is running winMe. (I know, I know) I had it at one point (big mistake to get) and it has been sitting in my room unused for sometime. This person needed a good machine but had a small budget so to cut cost that is one place he let me do so and I gave him that blasted Me. Could Me be causing the lock ups some how? If the silver compound doesn't help, would upgrading to Xp do so? I don't imagine anything else could be causing trouble. Although, HD is one year old and not in new condition I'll just say that much. Other than that, every component is new since early jan this year.

900 Celeron
    ASUS CUV266
    256 DDR SDRam
    20 GB WD HD (year old)
    Windows Me (**yuk**)
    AGP 32 mb SDRam gforce vid card
    SB 16 PCI

This is real baffeling because in all the computers I have worked with and all I have built, I haven't ever had this problem. :(

2. brianF

brianF

47 seems really high for a intel chip.
    Could also be system temp if that's high causing the vid card to overheat.

Winme shouldn't be that big a problem on a clean install with new hardware.

3. kramnnim

kramnnim

When I used WinME, it locked up daily...have had very few problems with 2k/XP.

4. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

That struck me as a little odd, as well. The silver compound came in today via overnight fedex so I'll see if that helps the temp. (you'd think it would, but know whos :rolleyes: ) I just can't believe how crappy this silicon is. I new it was cheap... but not that cheap. :rolleyes: Anyway, I'll post later tonight when I get the silver put in. Is the silver better then the stuff that comes on the P4? I would assume it is. This has nothing to do with my problem, but my P4 idles at 39 and peaks at 50 so I thought I might put some of this on it. It doesn't cause problems, but would be nice to get to run cooler. I suppose I could get a fan (only have a cpu fan as of now) or a better cpu fan, but I just never have. I guess "if it ain't, don't fix it" might apply, but it'd just be nice to get running cooler. Back to the problem, I can Xp home for $90 so I thought I might try that later, but a tight budget was the whole reason I went with Me in the first place (as it was free), and it is the full install so I would have to reload everything which is a pain, and I also have a few gripes with Xp... mainly just the whole activatioin issue and the limitations on home to make you get pro. I haven't had any more problems with Me before than I had with 98fe, so I don't know why it would be causing the locks if that were the case. So my other question is... how limited is the networking in home? Can you have file and print sharing? Crossing my fingers hoping that lowering the temp 15C or so will fix it. :rolleyes: :)

Oh... also, I have had more trouble installing this chip than with any other intel. The heatsink is impossible to put on. Any tips? I think I will see if I can lessen the bend in that clamp some...

5. brianF

brianF

Here ya go, difference between home and pro

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxpdifs.htm

The silver is better than the standard stuff on the p4.

You may want to invest in a case fan or two, turbo bay fan, something to move cool air in and hot air out.
    Hot case equals hot processor

6. marioh

marioh

47 C.....I'm hoping that's CPU temp and NOT system temp on startup. :D

My Athlon runs at around 50-55 C under full load, so that 47 C startup temp is way high considering it's a Celeron.

7. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Nope... it's the cpu temp. I don't think the system temp is unusually high, as I would remember as it should have struck my attention. Anyone have ideas on making the heatsink easier to put on? I guess I should get a case fan for my P4... I enjoy the silence and it doesn't get hot enough to really degrade preformance. (or at least not enough to be noticable, but as I said it does get a little hot) I'll first see how much the silver helps.

8. brianF

brianF

Tight is good, it's not a tbird, you shouldn't have to worry about cracking the core

9. marioh

marioh

Isn't that the fun part of putting a PC together ?? :D

10. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Yeah... but this one inparticular is just IMPOSSIBLE to get on. I had to use a flat head screw driver to clamp it down and it slipped a few times. OMG... I didn't think of that. It didn't really do to much to the mobo, but maybe that could be part of the problem? Well, system temp at least isn't high. Mario... it's fun to a certain point... :rolleyes: Ok well, it doesn't really take any of the fun out of it... just annoying, and I'm hoping it won't mess up the compound and make it clump in spaces and leave other spaces clean. I'll see how it goes putting it on as it is.

11. marioh

marioh

hopefully, that isn't the cause of the problem. :)

12. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Well, I hope not. :) If I remember correctly, it did take off some of the surface on the mobo... but didn't damage any circuits. (luckily didn't hit near one)

13. marioh

marioh

the last pc i put together, it was a major pain in the you know what when i tried to put that heatsink/fan combo on the processor. i don't know how it got on there, but somehow it ended up getting on there after numerous efforts and plenty of obscenities. :)

14. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Well, this time around went much better in terms of that darn heatsink. After many obsenities and hardwork, I finally managed to get the heatsink off. I then devised an elaborate setup of multiple flathead screwdrivers, (three in fact) and effortlessly (mostly) got the heatsink/fan back on. However, the rest didn't go as planned. This tube should last for at least 20 cpus... well it ain't gonna. Maybe 4 at the most. :rolleyes: First, I pryed off that heatsink and discovered that there was no more silicon left :eek: on the core and there was a blackened area around it. (good God... :rolleyes: ) Then, I was watching something on tv while I was doing it and since the remote wasn't working, went to manually change the channel. I had the tube in my hand and hadn't opened it, but noticed it had leaked on my fingers so I assumed it didn't need to be opened, even though I had a pin ready in hand. So I went to put it on and nothing would come out, so with very little pressure, the seal (or what was left of it) poped open and almost the entire tube came out onto the cpu core. I cleaned it up by using a piece of paper to store it to decide how to deal with it later. I used an end of another piece of paper to smooth it on, put the heatsink/fan back on, and closed the thing back up. While I was attaching all the cables to the back, someone went in after me where I was putting the grease on and saw the piece of paper with the gigantic glob of silver on it and assumed it was garbage and threw it away, not before of course getting most of it on their hands and clothes... and then coming to complain to me about it. :mad: :rolleyes:

I fired this thing up and the temp started at 52C, then gradually went down to 43, then to 35, then back up to 42 and is idling there. So far, good 5C improvement on idling temp and I assume it should take at least another 100 hours of use to lower any further, as the compound is being fitted appropriately on the core. Hopefully, it will eventually get down to about 35 and stay there and I will be happy. What I am not happy about is spending $15 (including shipping) on this silver compound and now almost all if it is gone, and it was only used on ONE cpu... and best yet..................THE DAMN COMPUTER ISN'T EVEN MINE!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! :mad: :( :rolleyes: :)

Well, ya win some, ya lose some............ :rolleyes:

15. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Ok... after running for a little while, cpu idling tops out at 43C and system temp at 30. I haven't actually known for sure (just knoe idle working temps) but what should a 900 Celeron with silver thermal compound, 1 cpu fan, 1 case fan and planty of breathing space nearby (as in not in a corner under a desk) run at? I'm thinkning I might have smeared the compound a bit when putting the heatsink on, so this weekend I might try and redo it. Maybe I just have to wait a bit to see it fall more.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/67005

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice