lockup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

padutch

Windows 98 -- when in windows I can click on restart and the PC will restart with no problem. The problem occurs when I shut down. Upon reboot it goes to the windows startup logo then to a black screen with a blinking light in the upper left hand corner and then it will freeze. Ctrl Alt Delete will not work nor will the button to shut down on the tower. I have to pull the plug. Wait a couple of minutes then plug in again. As soon as I plug in it starts to reboot again. Now it will take me to a window with a few choices and safe mode is highlighted. So I go to safe mode click on restart and the thing will go to windows. Upon entering windows I get a message that my settings are not right, I click OK then display properties window comes up. Strange that it is set for 16 colors. I check either 256 colors or 16 high ( only options there) and it tells me to reboot and it reboots fine in to windows. When in windows I change the High Colors to True color 32 bit and everything is fine. PC runs great.
I have run SFC have done a reg/restore and nothing helps. Also have run ad-aware and nothing helps the problem. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Dutch

Right click my computer, choose properties and see if you have any conflicts in device manager. Should show up and a yellow exclamation point.

Reboot into safemode and run scandisk and defrag. Tap F8 after the first screen on restart to get the option menu.

Try not setting the PC to True Color 32 bit nextr time. Restart and see if you get into Windows directly. If you do, there's a problem using that setting. Is it supported? OR do you need to update your drivers?

padutch

DoyceJ & Mosaic1.
Thanks much for your help. THis is a strange one. Mosaic1 I tried your suggestion first. First , yes my setup does support 32 bit. Now for what i did. I set it to 16 bit high color and shut down. When I botted up it went right to windows. I did this several times to just make sure and yes it worked . Now me being a bull headed Pa Dutchman I had to try the 32 bit again. Low and behold it works now. WHY?????? I would feel better if it didn't then I would have deleted the drivers and reloaded them. But now I am at a loss.
Dutch

Best guess I have would be the rebooting. Just decided to load correctly. Couldnt tell you why. But to be safe, check out the site here under the last 2 entries for hardrive for cleaning your system, do a virus scan, you can do one here.. Then I suggest removing any spyware. You can download Adaware 5.62 Final to do that.

Automatic Skip Driver (ASD) identifies failures that have caused Windows 98 to stop responding on previous startups and marks them so they are bypassed on subsequent startups.

In HELP in the start menu .. type in troubleshoot... then device failures & display... this should identify the problem

All devices or operations that have failed to start are listed by ASD. You can use ASD to enable any device previously disabled by ASD, and Windows 98 will attempt to use the device on the next startup attempt. If it fails, your computer will stop responding. When you restart your computer again, ASD will prevent the operation from running allowing you to start your computer. Click Details to identify the failing device and display a suggested course of action.

THAT (above ) came directly from HELP in Win 98

Well, I'll be. Thank you much SavvyLady. I truly had no idea about that.

Oh you're very welcome... I had the same problem a few months ago & had to do my own reching.. long before I knew about this awesome place...This is a GREAT forum & I thank you.:)

oops ... thats "my own teching"

padutch

Gentlemen and the Fair Savvy Lady,
I had the same problem this morning! Savvy Lady I tried your advice but it found nothing. I will keep your post for the future.
Trying different things did lead to the drivers in display. At least I think that is what caused it. When I set the display less then 32 bit things seemed to work. Put it back to 32 bit and couldn't fresh boot. I uninstalled the drivers and then did a reinstall of them. Things seem to be working now but time will tell. One thing I did go to safe mode and ran scan disk then defrag. When scandisk finished it had and error and when defrag started running it gave me the blue screen of death. They both work in normal windows and this was befor I reinstalled the drivers so that might have something to do with it. I don't know and will have to go back to safe mode at a later date and find out.
As it is we are working OK with the help of you 3 fine people. Just hope it stays that way.
Thanks ever so much
Dutch

Do you have much of a difference between 16bit high color and 32bit? If not I would leave it on 16 as Mosaic said. Be sure to disable the screensaver when in safemode. You may also want to try removing the card while in safemode and restarting. If you know the name you can search their site for any updated drivers.

padutch

Well I do play with pictures some and I like the quality of the 32 bit. As for drivers I just updated the other day. THis is what might have caused the problem. The update and the problem occured about the same time. Time will tell but in the mean time I thank the lot of you very much for your help.
Dutch

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online