1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lockups and beep

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RRA, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RRA

RRA Thread Starter

Recently my PC has started just locking up somtimes accompanied by one continuous high-pitched beep. Was thinking maybe heat issues but unsure. I can leave the pc on for hours on end long as I'm just surfing of doing office apps. I can never play a game very long however or do anything else intensive for long before this happens again and I have to manually shutdown and power on again. Any help appreciated. :)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It could very well be heat issues. If you enter the BIOS setup of your computer you should be able to check your temps and voltages; post those here.

You can also monitor temps from Windows using a variety of programs if your motherboard supports it. One that I like is called Speedfan: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

3. RRA

RRA Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, heres what I found,

MB temp: 30C
    CPU temp: 65.5C
    Fan speed: 6490rpm

VCore: 1.8v
    +3.3v: 3.2v
    +5v : 4.8v
    +12v : 12.0v
    +3vsb: 3.3v
    +5vsb: 5.1

CPU looks awful high to me for no oc. If you think thats the culprit any advice on things to check since fan seems to be running?

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I'd say heats an issue, especially that it could be up to 15 degrees higher than your censor is reading meaning up to 75C at the core actual temp!!

Your power supply also looks to be haveing some undervoltage issues at least on the 5V rail.

5. RRA

RRA Thread Starter

Thanks, hmm wonder what I should do. The fan on the heatsink seems to be running fine. Maybe remove and reapply some silver compound and reseat?

6. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Or purchase another heat sink.
    Or kill overclocking.
    Or add more case fans.
    Or clean out the case.

Has this just happened (as if the machine worked fine for years)?
    Did you add any new hardware?
    If not, see if there is a BIOS update.
    If you have installed any new software, that program may be taking alot of your CPU's time in the background and causing your processor to run at %100. Not good if your gaming.
    Kill all other apps. in the background CTRL+ALT+Delete, or kill the icons by your clock (start / run / msconfig / startup tab {unless you're running Win2K).

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What type of processor? P4's generally do not have that problem. They will throttle down so as not to overheat. I agree that 65C is too warm. Since that temp would not be under load [if read in the bios] it can go up another 10C under load. Check to see if any apps are using a lot of cpu time. Pulling the hsf and a complete cleaning and reapplication of thermal compound may be in order.

8. RRA

RRA Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. As for type of cpu its an amd 1.4ghz chip and isn't overclocked or so I was told by the friend who gave me the pc on loan. Case has 4 fans including the psu one and was cleaned about 2 weeks ago. I assume reapplication of the thermal compound is what I should do next. If that doesn't do it then a new heatsink maybe in order. Not sure its possible the chip just runs hot all of a sudden. Been ran for about 2 yrs without problem before now. Oh and background programs aren't it either, checked it thanks. Good suggestions, :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice