1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lockups and freezing in most games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jangle, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jangle

Jangle Thread Starter

Hi guys, im not sure if this is the right place to post, but it is game related.

Some games that i install on my pc (usually quite new games eg. half life 2, battlefield vietnam) every ten minutes or so the game will freeze and i have to use control alt delete to close it down. I have tried all the standard troubleshooting on game websites, like changing my directx settings, but nothing works. I emailed some guy at ea help and support and after loads of suggestions he said he didnt know and it might be to do with my hardware. My pc can handle the games, as Doom 3 worked fine.

My specs are: radeon 9800 pro, AMD athlon 3000+, 512mb ram, creative sb audigy ls soundcard.

If you can help me i would be reeeeeally grateful, this problem has been going on for ages now. thanks

2. timothye

timothye

have you tried windows update lately , update your system then update all the drivers for your sound card + graphics card .. let us know .
    cheers .

3. Jangle

Jangle Thread Starter

i hav the latest drivers for my graphics and sound cards and i have the latest updates for windows.

4. Jangle

Jangle Thread Starter

anybody? :(

5. beaney05

beaney05

it is similar to my problem.

Have you played DOOM3 On it

6. Jangle

Jangle Thread Starter

yes, Doom3 works fine. Its just random games that do it, especially half life 2

7. Jangle

Jangle Thread Starter

:( does anybody have any ideas?

8. Jangle

Jangle Thread Starter

9. will182

will182 Banned

Did you install the games before you installed your graphics drivers?

10. Jangle

Jangle Thread Starter

yeah, i installed them before i got the latest drivers

11. will182

will182 Banned

AH i installed unreal tournament 2004 before i installed the latest drivers for my graphics card, everytime i tried to adjust the resaloution of the game, the game exited and i got an error message, but i reinstalled unreal tournament 2004 and it worked fine.
    Reinstall the games that mucked up AFTER you install your drivers and then try it.

12. Jangle

Jangle Thread Starter

i already tried re-installing half life 2 but it didnt help. Thanks for trying though

13. will182

will182 Banned

oh well.

errm have you tried a fresh install of windows, i am thinking that there also might be a conflict somewere

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/365809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice