1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lockups in file, save, open

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mark hall, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mark hall

mark hall Thread Starter

I have recently replaced my hard drive with a 40 gig, also replaced my cdrw drive and upgraded from 128 to 512 megs SDram.
    Upon loading my Win 98 system files and all drivers for add ons I am having a lockup problem in each program when I try to go into file, my computer or c drive. It lasts anywhere from 1 to 1 1/2 min. and then the drop down window appears and I can save or open anything, if I immediately open another program the same thing happens. Although I had sector errors with my old drive I never had a lock up problem like this. I have a AMD 700 processor, win 98, Norton Antivirus (which I just did a live update and ran a complete virus scan, I had none). I have run scan disk and defrag and the problem still appears.
    Thought I could do this myself and almost did, just have one minor problem. Any help would be appreciated. :(
    mark

2. deanas

deanas

Wow with all that memory and you have
    that slowdowns!
    This list is a big advocate of ad-aware.
    Try downloading and see what kind of
    hidden programs might be contributing.
    Hit the three finger salute to ms
    (ctrl + alt + delete) to see what programs
    are running at any time. You can go to:
    start < run
    and type in:
    msconfig
    press enter and go to startup tab.
    These are all the programs that are loaded
    when you start your computer. Uncheck those
    that your unsure of. ( you can always go back
    and recheck them)

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

hi...

YEA WE DO LIKE AD-AWARE TO BE RUN... SPYWARE IS AS BAD AS A VIRUS IN SOME WAYS

why don't you show us what all you have running in startup... it will do this if you have to many there.

Go to ... start/run/type in msinfo32 & click ok..... then go to the (+) at Software envirement & highlight by clicking startup... when its loaded go to Edit & select all... then back to edit & copy... come back here & paste it here.

4. deanas

deanas

I beg your pardon, I meant no disrespect.
    as a matter of fact you made a convert
    of me.

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

deanas I meant none either... whats wrong here... did I offend you? If I did please accept my apoligy... I never meant to

6. mark hall

mark hall Thread Starter

Here are the programs running at startup. Thanks for the quick reply..... mark

Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe"
    Corel MEDIA FOLDERS INDEXER 8 Startup Group C:\Corel\Graphics8\Programs\MFIndexer.exe
    Office Startup Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE" -b
    Microsoft Find Fast Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE"
    PowerReg SchedulerV2 Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\PowerReg SchedulerV2.exe
    Norton System Doctor Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\SYSDOC32.EXE" /STARTUP
    CleanSweep Smart Sweep-Internet Sweep Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\csinsm32.exe"
    Data LifeGuard Common Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Data LifeGuard\8263142\Program\backWeb-8263142.exe" -startup
    AIM Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\INSTANT MESSENGER\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    EnsoniqMixer Registry (Machine Run) starter.exe
    PCIMODEM Registry (Machine Run) pcimodem.exe
    Atikey Registry (Machine Run) Atitask.exe
    AtiCwd32 Registry (Machine Run) Aticwd32.exe
    StillImageMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    NPROTECT Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
    NAV DefAlert Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\DEFALERT.EXE
    Norton Auto-Protect Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\NAVAPW32.EXE /LOADQUIET
    Norton eMail Protect Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\POPROXY.EXE
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    NPROTECT Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
    CSINJECT.EXE Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\CSINJECT.EXE
    SymTray - Norton SystemWorks Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymTray.exe "Norton SystemWorks"

7. beach51

beach51

Hi Mark,Seems like Savvy Lady isnt here so I'll jump in and try and help.Go to Start>Run>type in Msconfig>click ok>click on startup tab>remove the check marks from.

Aim Registry
    Microsoft fast find
    cleansweep
    Datalifeguard

Click apply>then OK>reboot.

Lets us know if this helps with the lockups

8. mark hall

mark hall Thread Starter

Just tried unchecking all 4 progs in startup, rebooted and tried to open My Computer (LOCK). It now licks up even in this browser address window I found that my DVD drive (E) does not work, when placing a movie or cd it does nothing. Drive is recognized and working properly according to device manager. In referencing my first letter this all started when I put in a new Western Digital hard drive, two 256 Centon sdram chips, and a replaced my cdrw with a Pacific Digital cdrw drive. I am beginning to wonder if I have a hardware conflict. :( mark

9. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Auto insert Notification may not be checked for the DVD drive. Go to Device Manager, expand the CDROM Branch. Double click on the drive. Click the settings tab. Be sure auto insert notification is checked.

Next issue. How did you partition and format the new Drive? What software did you use and how many partitions please?
    Also, and this doesn't pertain to this problem, however if you are using Windows98 and have a Hard Drive over 32 Gigs, you need to download and install this patch. It says it is for a particular BIOS type and for a particular problem. Scandisk errors in Hard Drives > 32 gigs.Ignore that. Anyone running Window98 with an HDD>32 gigs needs this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q243450

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It would be useful to know if the delays and lock ups occur in safe mode. This will bypass all startup programs and 32bit hardware drivers. If it happens in safe mode I think the problem might be in the registry or possibly a corrupt History cache.

To start in safe mode press and hold the cntrl key when restarting to access the startup menu and select safe mode from there.

I also see you have installed 512mb of memory. This just might be an issue. There are circumstances where more is less. If it's not too inconvenient, you might try removing one of those sticks and see if the problem remains.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q253912

You may be right on the border line here.

11. mark hall

mark hall Thread Starter

I just tried to run some progs. in safe mode and had NO lockups.:) Thanks Rollin' Rog
    I don't know what partitions I used to format the new drive I followed the instructions on the disk from Western Digital called Data Lifeguard Tools. I did download the patch for large gig (over 32) 243450 from microsoft, ran it, rebooted computer and still the same problem (lockups). I have not shut down, opened tower and removed a memory chip but might do that next. I also opened device mang, and made sure insert notification is checked under settings tab for CDROM branch. Thanks Mosaic1
    mark

12. mark hall

mark hall Thread Starter

I might add that the time of lockups is down to 30 sec, Hey it was a min and a half, so thats progress. For what it's worth during lockup (which only happens in My computer not in up folder selections) the keyboard locks too. I tried the Num Lock key and I can not change that function light, so I guess the computer is not just THINKING about it but truly in a lock mode.
    Keep helping guys, Talk to you tomorrow. Thanks

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If no lockups in safe mode, try using msconfig to bypass your entire startup group for a test. Just uncheck it on the General Page. If there are no lockups that way, you know something there, under the startup tab, is causing the conflict. You should continue to leave Find Fast unchecked one way or another, and cleansweep really should only be enabled for installs.

You can test 32bit hardware drivers by using the "force compatibiity mode" available on the "Advanced" page of msconfig.

If the lockups don't occur that way, then the problem likely has something to do with the cd-rw recent installation.

14. mark hall

mark hall Thread Starter

Tried to send a reply and don't think it came through. Tried unchecking complete start up group on General Page, rebooted and still have lockups. Tried checking force compatibility mode in "Advanced" page of msconfig and NO lockups.
    So, how do I find out if DVD drive needs reloading? My DVD is part of the old system. All I had to bring back my system after installing my new hard drive was a recovery cd. Thats what I got with the original system. :( Didn't work, finally had to get a win 98 package and all systems loading & worked like a charm. My new cdrw runs fine, at least it plays cds, haven't tried to burn one yet. I may not have a driver for the old dvd drive. Although I have the cd software, it runs but drive will not recognize a cd or dvd. Do you think the win 98 package would have a driver to fit? Should I uninstall the dvd drive software, reboot and let the computer find a compatible driver?
    Also should I reset the msconfig "force compatibilty box" under advanced page?
    Thanks again Rollin Rog
    :) mark

15. $teve

$teve

mark,if your lock-ups are gone.i would let the comp run for a day or so,just to make sure youve id`ed the problem.......my thoughts are on the ram you have . i cant run this box with all 3 ram slots filled,i get the same lock-ups as you.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice