1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Log-In Nightmare... Please help!

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by atomiccannon, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. atomiccannon

atomiccannon Thread Starter

I have an iMac G3 tower that had been wiped clean by a relative's IT person; he then installed Mac OS X 10.3. When I turned the computer on, it asked me for my log-in name and password. I placed a call to my family member, and asked what the log-in info could be; she said at first that her IT guy wouldn't set up that info, that he'd leave that for me. Well apparently he did choose a log-in name and password, and at this point, no one has a clue as to what was used. I was also told that this IT person has a "start-up disk" (the tower has a DVD drive) that can be used to circumvent the log-in proceedure and allow me to insert my info. Only problem is that he won't allow it out of his hands. I live quite far from the holder of this disk, so it would be difficult for me to shuttle the tower back and forth for this task. So my question is this: is it possible for me to purchase an item like this, perhaps even used... any suggestions on where to look (eBay and Craigslist haven't yielded any info so far)? Do I just have to bite the bullet and buy the whole software program? I'm really looking forward to using this computer, I just want to get into the damn thing!!! Thanks for reading! (hope this post doesn't violate any guidelines here... )

2. Headrush

Headrush

Unless you can get an administrator account details from the previous owner you are in a bind.

You might have to bit the bullet and buy an OS X DVD.
    There are other options, but they won't be discussed in these forums.

3. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

sounds like you were ripped off or something to me sounds like that guy screwed up your computer so now you have to buy a disk to fix it. Sounds like best buys geeksquad :D

4. drummerbull

drummerbull

The "start-up disk" that he is reffering to is simply the install disk that he used. The OS X installer disk will have an option to "resest" the password for the account. Hopefully the user name is there on screen.

The other thing to note is that with a fresh install of OS X, the system is set for auto log in. So he would have specifically had to go into the System Preferences and change it. To me, it sounds like he is either trying to get you to pay him more money to fix something he knowingly did, or else he didn't do the work in the first place and is just lieing to you.

5. jdl

jdl

Go to htthttp://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/p:// and scroll down to the ophcrack liveCD link. Download the iso file and burn it to a cd. You'll need a program capable of converting the iso to the program cd.

The resulting linux program will run on Windows, Mac OS X (Intel CPU) as well as on Linux. It will find logon passwords in the system.

You will have to boot from the cd. So...pray that your system is set up to boot from a cd, and that you have an intel CPU. (I know little about iMacs but I know this cd will work on intel CPUs. It saved my bacon once.)

Keep us advised.

6. drummerbull

drummerbull

It's a G3 which means it is not an Intel CPU but rather a PowerPC from IBM.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!