1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Log off error

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by u039307, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. u039307

u039307 Thread Starter

Every time I log off (Start-Shut down) I get the following error message:
    "Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer. System halted."
    I then have to power down completely in order to shut it off.
    I have an Athlon 128MB using windows ME.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions. :confused:

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

u039307
    Welcome to TSG!
    Windows protection errors at startup or shutdown usually means you have a conflict occuring during the process that windows cannot resolve. The finding of the conflict can be a tedious process because it is done by elimintation. If this problem is a very recent event then you may want to review what hardware or software you recently installed and uninstall them to see which may have caused the problem.
    Another possiblility is attempt a System Restore prior to the date of the Protection errors occuring. Go to start/programs/system tools/system restore and select restore my computer to earlier time. Hit enter and select a bolder date the is prior to error occuring.
    If neither of the processes above eliminate the problem or are not a viable option then proceed to the following.

Windows protection errors at shutdown could be caused by many items,
    Here are some of the reason directly from Microsoft article Q149962
    1) If a real-mode driver and a protected-mode driver are in conflict.
    2) If the registry is damaged.
    3) If either the Win.com file or the Command.com file are infected with a virus, or if either of the files are damaged.
    4) If a protected-mode driver is loaded from the System.ini file and the driver is already initialized.
    5) If there is a physical input/output (I/O) address conflict or a random access memory (RAM) address conflict.
    6) If there are incorrect complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings for a built-in peripheral device (such as cache settings, CPU timing, hard disks, and so on).
    7) If the Plug and Play feature of the computer's basic input/output system (BIOS) is not working correctly.
    8) If the computer contains a malfunctioning cache or malfunctioning memory.
    9) If the computer's motherboard is not working properly.
    10) If you installed Microsoft Office 97 and you are using the Novell Client 32 software.

First I would try starting in SafeMode, Restart system and keep tapping F8 key until selection screen appears. Arrow down to SafeMode and hit enter. Once in SafeMode try shutting down your system. If Shutdown occurs normally then proceed with the first article below which is just information about what you already did. After reading article proceed to the next article and start your journey in finding the conflict.
    First article for read purposes
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q149962

Specific instructions about troubleshooting WinMe shutdown problems.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q273746

Further information on WinMe shutdown problems further reference.
    http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnme.htm

Sorry about the complex task but there is no other way to find out.

Keep us posted on your progress and solution.
    Dave

3. u039307

u039307 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try and respond when done!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice