1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Log off / switch user on windows now requires password after deleted spyware

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by speedyzap, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. speedyzap

speedyzap Thread Starter

I have Windows XP Home as my OS

To switch account users or to log off and log on to another account on the same XP Home, I just hit the log off button and click on the other account icon

Now, for some reason, after hitting the log off or switch user icon, the XP OS goes to a blue and cream coloured panel headed:
    "Log On to Windows
    Windows XP Home Edition
    User Name:
    Password:
    OK Cancel Options"

The only thing I can put this down to is the night before it started I did a Zone Alarm Spyware search and it picked up and deleted:
    Trojan - Win32.1sass
    and
    Win32.Worm.Socks.BW

I tried doing a system restore point a few days prior but it requests my XP Home "User Name" and "Password" again
    Unfortunately, my user name comes up automatically, but I can't remember my "password". I punched in about 10 different passwords I suspected were correct but it rejected

How can I fix this problem up and just log off and switch users without this User name/Password screen coming up all the time?

Thanks

Speedy

2. Sponsor

3. Megabite

Megabite

The best way is to try and remember your password........as we cannot help you with password issues on the site it is against TSG rules

4. speedyzap

speedyzap Thread Starter

OK if I find the password - should I just do a system restore a couple of days prior or a system repair?

5. Megabite

Megabite

Well if you do a system restore you might re-infect your PC......Maybe system repair

6. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor

Hi after removing Spyware - it is wise to clear all restore points.
    Turn off System Restore>restart the Pc>turn on System Restore>set a new restore point.

XP-Repair install.
    Insert the XP cd in the CD ROM Drive then switch on the computer.

You will receive the following message:

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
    To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
    To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    DO NOT at this point select R.... DO NOT SELECT R

Select ENTER
    ----------------
    On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen
    Press F8 to agree to the license agreement

Select current installation of Windows XP.and then

Press R to repair Windows XP.
    -----------------------------------
    Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to repair Windows.
    After you repair Windows , you may have to reactivate your copy of Windows XP
    And install all Windows updates.

A repair install should leave all of your programs and data in place.

Read all info>as a repair install does not always work..
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

7. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor

8. speedyzap

speedyzap Thread Starter

Listen, I may need to do just that a re-format and clean XP install, because I have so many problems with this hard-drive that I am fed up with it
    I would have re-formatted much earler except I have a problem
    I mean that once, quite a while ago, I couldn't get my hardrive to work, so I took the HD out of my desktop and put it in a HD case and hooked it up to my laptop via USB, the laptop asked if I wanted to change the account details somehow to make it work better with the laptop, so I said YES! and it changed to user name details and all files to suit. Then I found the problem with the desktop was simply that it needed to be earthed or something and I put the HD back and then discovered that I had two sets of files with different account names on the HD. Any way, this caused the D/: & E:/ drives not to be recognised - so I can't slip the XP CD in and have it run.

The main reason I have not re-formatted IS that I have a very large Outlook Express file with thousands of emails. I have that many emails because I am the President of an action group running a large class action [law suit] in the courts on behalf of approx 5,000 investors and with OE I can do searches to retreive any relevant email.

Can I somehow save my entire OE file onto a thumb drive or external HD via a USB port and then re-load it back onto the re-formatted HD ? (Remember both my D & E rom drives don't work). If I can do this I will re-format, as these many OE files are important to me and the Action Group.

9. Megabite

Megabite

10. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If you used the Welcome screen and didn't have to type a password, then your account doesn't have one. Just leave the password box blank and click OK.

Then go to Control Panel | User Accounts
    Click Change the way users log on or off
    Check Use the Welcome screen and Use Fast User Switching.

11. speedyzap

speedyzap Thread Starter

That's the problem, the log on does not go to the old welcome screen when turning PC on, it now goes straight to a small blue and cream coloured panel headed:
    "Log On to Windows
    Windows XP Home Edition
    User Name:
    Password:
    OK-----Cancel--------Options"

I tried re-applying the the "Use Welcome Screen" & "fast switching" & re-booting but that didn't work.
    Prior to that clicking on any of the 5 accounts did not need a password and all accounts were made administrator
    This password appears to be requesting the original password and computer name I put in on when loading the XP Home CD. I used the three or four passwords I remember in upper and lower case but they didn't work. The computer name is already inserted automatically, but not the password.

12. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

So you can log onto Windows now, at least with one account. When in the User Accounts applet, if an account has a password, it will be listed as Password Protected.
    You can change or remove any passwords if you are logged on with an account that is a Computer Administrator. Note that if you are using the Built in Encrypting File System, resetting a password from here will make those encrypted files inaccessible until you re-import the key used to encrypt them. If you didn't export that key, they will not be accessible.

After checking the Use the Welcome screen and Use Fast User Switching boxes, when you reboot, are those still checked, or are they unchecked again?

13. speedyzap

speedyzap Thread Starter

Yes The are still checked

I don't know how I missed this.......

In the new small screen that comes up instead of the old XP Welcome Screen i.e.,
    "Log On to Windows
    Windows XP Home Edition
    User Name:
    Password:
    OK-----Cancel--------Options"

Guess what? All you do is type in the name of the account you want in "User Name" and hit OK and it will go to that account
    My son did it and got his account to come up - I tried my wifes account etc and its all OK, as all accounts were originally all "administrator level" no passwords are necessary. Sheeesh!

I still can't explain why this new small screen comes up instead of the old normal welcome screen???Perhaps it's changed because of an update - but I doubt it???

So I will persist with the new screen till I am happy with being able to save all OE files onto a thumbstick and then do a re-format and clean install of XP Home

My PC is 9 year old and due for an upgrade - but still need OE files saved for re-install to new HD and/or new PC

I downloaded a free trial version of outlook express back up wizard but could not see how to load the backup onto a thumbstick via usb port - seems to just want to back up existing OE file in its current position?
    http://www.outlook-express-backup.com/

Could not use http://www.ehow.com/how_2090257_backup-outlook-emails.html
    as backup method [as with a number of programs like widows repair] it stops near the end and says something like can't proceed because somethings wrong or missing - probably the old dual account/ files problem as previously mentioned.
    Might try and find another program via google that lets me save OE onto a thumbstick

14. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Sounds like the spyware may have infected the logonui.exe file, which may have been deleted by Zone Alarm because of it.. If that file is missing, you'll get the classic logon screen instead of the Welcome screen, even though the Use the Welcome screen box is checked.
    Let's check that, and see if any of the backup copies are present. If not, we can copy it from the Dell XP CD.

Copy the text in the following code block into Notepad. This file will search your hard drive for the logonui.exe file and give us a list of the ones it finds, along with the version, and created/modified dates
    Save it on the desktop as Query.cmd. Be sure to change the Save as Type: box to All Files when saving.
    Code:
    [plain]@Echo Off
    Call :_CreateVBS
    Set _file=%userprofile%\Desktop\Query.txt
     >"%_file%" Echo.[CODE]
    For /F "Tokens=* Delims=" %%I In ('Dir /A /B /S %SysDrive%\logonui.exe') Do cscript //nologo "%Temp%\GetVer.vbs" "%%I">>"%_file%"
    >>"%_file%" Echo.
    Start Notepad "%_file%"
    Del "%Temp%\GetVer.vbs"
    Exit
    :_CreateVBS
    (Echo.strComputer = "."
    Echo.strFileName = Wscript.Arguments.Item^(0^)
    Echo.strNewName = Replace^(strFileName,"\","\\"^)
    Echo.Set objWMIService = GetObject^("winmgmts:\\" ^& strComputer ^& "\root\cimv2"^)
    Echo.Set colFiles = objWMIService.ExecQuery^("Select * from CIM_Datafile Where name = '" ^& strNewName ^& "'"^)
    Echo.For Each objFile in colFiles
    Echo.Wscript.Echo "File:" ^& vbTab ^& vbTab ^& objFile.Drive ^& objFile.Path ^& objFile.FileName ^& "." ^& objFile.Extension
    Echo.Wscript.Echo "Version:" ^& vbTab ^& objFile.Version
    Echo.Wscript.Echo "CreationDate:" ^& vbTab ^& FormDate^(objFile.CreationDate^)
    Echo.Wscript.Echo "LastModified:" ^& vbTab ^& FormDate^(objFile.LastModified^)
    Echo.Wscript.Echo
    Echo.Next
    Echo.Function FormDate^(varDate^)
    Echo.FormDate = Mid^(varDate,5,2^) ^& "/" ^& Mid^(varDate,7,2^) ^& "/" ^& Left^(varDate,4^)
    Echo.FormDate = FormDate ^& " " ^& Mid^(varDate,9,2^) ^& ":" ^& Mid^(varDate,11,2^) ^& ":" ^& Mid^(varDate,13,2^)
    Echo.End Function)>"%Temp%\GetVer.vbs"
    [/plain][/code]Double click the file to run it. It will create a file named Query.txt on the Desktop and open it in Notepad. Copy and paste the text into your next reply.

15. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

From the looks of the screen shots, to save the back up file from outlook express back up wizard to a USB Thumbdrive, just click the browse button on the Choose a backup filename Screen, and browse to the Thumbdrive, or you can just type the path in directly. To save it to a folder named Backups on a drive with the letter T, just type:

T:\Backups\OEBackup_May_5_2010.oeb

Your second link is for backing up Outlook, which is a different program than Outlook Express. The Outlook Personal Folders Backup tool only works with Outlook, and if you don't have Outlook installed would tell you it's missing.

16. speedyzap

speedyzap Thread Starter

Thanks Outcaste - not 100% sure if I follow you but I copy and pasted as under into note pad:

@Echo Off
    Call :_CreateVBS
    Set _file=%userprofile%\Desktop\Query.txt
    >"%_file%" Echo.
    Code:
    For /F "Tokens=* Delims=" %%I In ('Dir /A /B /S %SysDrive%\logonui.exe') Do cscript //nologo "%Temp%\GetVer.vbs" "%%I">>"%_file%"
    >>"%_file%" Echo.
    Start Notepad "%_file%"
    Del "%Temp%\GetVer.vbs"
    Exit
    :_CreateVBS
    (Echo.strComputer = "."
    Echo.strFileName = Wscript.Arguments.Item^(0^)
    Echo.strNewName = Replace^(strFileName,"\","\\"^)
    Echo.Set objWMIService = GetObject^("winmgmts:\\" ^& strComputer ^& "\root\cimv2"^)
    Echo.Set colFiles = objWMIService.ExecQuery^("Select * from CIM_Datafile Where name = '" ^& strNewName ^& "'"^)
    Echo.For Each objFile in colFiles
    Echo.Wscript.Echo "File:" ^& vbTab ^& vbTab ^& objFile.Drive ^& objFile.Path ^& objFile.FileName ^& "." ^& objFile.Extension
    Echo.Wscript.Echo "Version:" ^& vbTab ^& objFile.Version
    Echo.Wscript.Echo "CreationDate:" ^& vbTab ^& FormDate^(objFile.CreationDate^)
    Echo.Wscript.Echo "LastModified:" ^& vbTab ^& FormDate^(objFile.LastModified^)
    Echo.Wscript.Echo
    Echo.Next
    Echo.Function FormDate^(varDate^)
    Echo.FormDate = Mid^(varDate,5,2^) ^& "/" ^& Mid^(varDate,7,2^) ^& "/" ^& Left^(varDate,4^)
    Echo.FormDate = FormDate ^& " " ^& Mid^(varDate,9,2^) ^& ":" ^& Mid^(varDate,11,2^) ^& ":" ^& Mid^(varDate,13,2^)
    Echo.End Function)>"%Temp%\GetVer.vbs"

Then went to "File" to "save as" > changed file name to Query.cmd > changed "text..." to "All Files" > left "Encoding" as "ANSI" > changed "Save in" at top, to "Desktop" > hit "Save" and got two icons on desktop as follows:
    1] Icon > "Query.cmd [ double click gives] > black screen titled: "C\ Windows\system32\cmd.exe" and the black screen has nothing written in it
    2] Icon > "Query.text" [double click gives] > white screen titled: "Query.txt - Notepad" and on the white screen is the following text:
    Code:
    File:		c:\windows\$ntservicepackuninstall$\logonui.exe
    Version:	
    CreationDate:	11/28/2008  09:34:23
    LastModified:	08/04/2004  17:56:50

File:		c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\logonui.exe
    Version:	6.00.2900.5512 (xpsp.080413-2105)
    CreationDate:	04/22/2008  01:11:36
    LastModified:	04/14/2008  10:12:24

File:		c:\windows\system32\logonui.exe
    Version:	6.00.2900.5512 (xpsp.080413-2105)
    CreationDate:	04/22/2008  01:10:33
    LastModified:	04/14/2008  10:12:24

Trusting that's what you wanted?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/922380