1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Log on

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RayS, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayS

RayS Thread Starter

I am fairly new to computer use and may not ask the question properly...but here goes:

I have Windows XP Home Edition.

The problem just recently began to happen. When I turn on the computer and Windows begins to open, it stops and this messge comes up: "Checking file system on C: The type of file is NTFS. One of the disks needs to be checked for consistency.
    Then in goes into a CHKDSK mode to verify files (stage 1 of 3). It goes through a long list of files and indicates the segment(s) as "unreadable". (NOTE: If I catch it before it begins to verify files
    and hit ANY KEY it will stop and continue to open Windows. Once I
    get past this, I have not noted any problem with the operation of the computer.

After it gets through with the CHKDSK run it shows "Recovery lost files.

To try to solve the problem, I went into MY COMPUTER; PROPERTIES, TOOLS, ERROR CHECKING, SCAN NOW.

When it stopped the last thing to come us was "Phase 1 - was unable to complete disk check".

My question: What has caused this to happen, was it something that I inadvertently did and what can I do to make it stop coming up when I try to log on? Please remember I do not understand a lot of technical jargon, so I may need elementary guidance.
    Thanks.

2. JenniferLore

JenniferLore Banned

Many things can cause corrupted files: from turning the computer on to power spikes and incorrect shutdowns, etc...........

Boot the computer from the windows xp cd. When prompted select the repair option and use the recovery console. At the console prompt type

CHKDSK /F
    press enter

The process may take a long time but let it finish.

Restart the computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice