Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Log Onto an Unresponsive Desktop Background (No Icons, etc.) [Many Details Inside]

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  charade501 
#1 ·
Please view this thread if you have a potential solution: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/for...desktop-background-no-icons-etc-many-details/

Hello friends, I am in need of some desperate help, and I wasn't sure where to post this. =x
I've been experiencing this problem for over a day now, so I'm just going to post the "logs" I've written down as I've gone through the process of trying to find a solution.

Background: I've had this computer for almost a year, and have never experienced a problem with it before yesterday.

My Specs: i5-4670 @ 3.4GHz, Adata XPG V2 8GB DDR3 1600, Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3, Thermaltake Smart Series 750w PSU, NVIDIA GTX 760 2GB, and I run Windows 7.

Note: The main problem at this point is that when I load my computer, the only thing that shows is my desktop wallpaper and nothing else - icons, taskbar, etc. don't load. When I try to Ctrl+Alt+Del, the screen goes black and I hit either spacebar or Enter to get back to the unresponsive desktop wallpaper screen once again.

The problem all started when I attempted to boot up the computer one morning, the lights turned on for a split second and immediately turned off once again. After searching Google thoroughly, it appeared as if this was the computer attempting to stop from short circuiting. I personally have no experience with computer hardware whatsoever, so I was baffled as to what to do, as the computer would not start up anymore. My father simply unplugged everything, took a look inside of the computer, switched on something that appeared to be an alternate on/off thinger, and hooked it up once again. This time, the computer loaded up.

The first thing I see is an error message informing me that the BIOS is corrupted - it goes through this little loading screen and eventually I reach the main problem: an unresponsive desktop wallpaper screen devoid of anything but the wallpaper. I attempted to Ctrl+Alt+Del, expecting to be able to simply run "explorer.exe", but it led me to another unresponsive black screen. After several attempts to reboot the system, I finally decided to go into Safe Mode and run a virus scan. Why? I dunno, I'm not as computer savvy as I'd like to be so I figured it might've been software related. Maybe it is. But.. the virus scan didn't pick up anything, so I immediately ruled out a virus. Next, I attempted a System Restore to a few days prior - the only save point I had was just before a Windows Update, so I did it. Didn't fix a thing.

The next thing I tried was a random solution I came across on Google for the 'main problem' I'm facing, which was disabling all startup services in msconfig while in Safe Mode. I did this, and the computer actually loaded beyond the desktop wallpaper screen. I restarted the computer to apply some updates, and the same problem came back to haunt me: an unresponsive desktop wallpaper screen! After a restart or two, I managed to get past the unresponsive screen, and for approximately three minutes I was able to do the things I'd normally be able to do. Then it simply froze, and became an unresponsive screen once again, and I couldn't even Ctrl+Alt+Del to get a black screen, everything was simply frozen.

When I did manage to get on the next time for whatever reason, I was prompted with an error regarding the display drivers. Nothing I could do from here, so I decided to update my BIOS for whatever reason. I updated it using Q-Flash. For reference, my MoBo is the GA-Z87-HD3. After I did this, I rebooted and everything was working smoothly. Logged on (received this error: "Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered"), restarted to apply changes, and it actually freakin' worked! This worked for the rest of the time I was using the computer - as I was scared to restart at this point - and eventually I got off, shutting down the computer to install those Windows Updates I System Restored in the beginning of this process.

And here I am, the next morning, experiencing the exact same problem that plagued me throughout yesterday, with no plausible solutions in sight.
So, what do I do?!

Kudos and thank you if you managed to read all of this (I tried to be as thorough as possible as to cast away any possible confusion, though making it longer may have added to the confusion..), and thanks to anyone who can provide a solution to this peculiar problem.

See less See more
#2 ·
After reading all that you almost answered the problem yourself! (well i'd say 90% sure it is anyway)
eventually I got off, shutting down the computer to install those Windows Updates I System Restored in the beginning of this process.
It seems a little suspicious that whilst these updates are installed your computer dies, once you restore to before they were implemented it works after fixing the corruption .

Restart your computer. Some problems seen after Windows update installations can be corrected with a simple reboot.
Still nothing ?
I would boot your computer into safe mode and do the following!.

Some issues experienced after Windows updates are less "problems" and more annoyances. Before we move on to more complicated steps, here are a few relatively minor issues that I've encountered after some Windows updates, along with their likely solutions:

Problem: A hardware device (video, sound, etc.) is no longer working properly or is generating an error code/message
Solution: Update the drivers for the device

Complete a System Restore to uninstall the Windows update(s). This solution is very likely to work since all the changes made by the updates are reversed.

Important: During the System Restore process, choose the restore point created just prior to the installation of the Windows updates. If no restore point is available then you won't be able to try this step. System Restore itself must have had some issue prior to the Windows update that prevented a restore point from being automatically created.

If System Restore fixes the problem you've been experiencing, see my How To Prevent Windows Updates From Crashing Your PC before you do anything else. You'll need to make changes to how Windows Update is configured, as well as follow some best practices in regards to installing the updates again, or you might experience the same exact problem when the patches try to automatically install again.

Run the sfc /scannow command to check for issues with, and replace if necessary, important Windows files that may been corrupted or removed.

System File Checker (the name of the tool run by executing the sfc command) isn't a particularly likely solution to a post-Patch-Tuesday or other Windows update issue but it's the most logical next step if a System Restore doesn't do the trick.

Test your memory and test your hard drive. While no update from Microsoft is capable of physically damaging your memory or hard drive, the recent patches, like any software installation from any company, could have been a catalyst that made these hardware issues apparent.

#3 ·
I've tried several System Restore points (there are many times where it updates, as I've restored several times and each time it appears to add a new restore point for Windows Updates), and none of them change anything. I've been restarting endlessly since the issue began, so that's not the problem either.

During Safe Mode with Networking, I can't seem to update any of my drivers either. It won't even let me connect to the Internet.

Also, when I try disabling automatic Windows updates (just to give it a shot), I get this error when I click on Windows Updates:
C:\Windows\system32\igfxcpl.cpl is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

I'm baffled! Everything is wrong! :p

#5 ·
I accidentally skipped that part of your post. Will try it out immediately.

I ran the scannow command, and it goes through the "verification phase" of the scan, and as soon as that's over (it does manage to get to 100%), the command prompt closes and nothing occurs afterward. I assume that's not very good. =p

#6 ·
Did you run it as administrator ? if not please do so.

If still a no go.
Whilst in safe mode go to control panel and select view installed updates and uninstall the updates that installed on the date your comp started coming up with the issue / today's date as u have restored then restart I would recommend you disconnect the computer from the internet before restarting.

#8 ·
In the Run panel it does say that the task will be run with administrative priveleges, so yes it was run as administrator, unfortunately.

However, when I try to uninstall any one of those updates installed yesterday (May 18th), I receive this error:
Uninstallation Did Not Succeed

Update XX has not been removed from this computer because:
The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

Edit: No, how do I boot with that option?
Edit2: I tried booting with Last Known Good System Configuration, didn't change a thing.
Edit3: If you'd like to help me further, please read this thread, as it details several (possibly successful) attempts to pinpoint the issue at hand: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/for...desktop-background-no-icons-etc-many-details/

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.