1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Log onto local machine in Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by winifred, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winifred

winifred Thread Starter

I cannot install a new program because I get an error message "not logged onto local machine" in the program setup. I have an administrator account so I don't know what's wrong. Any idea? Thanks!

2. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Have you tried right clicking the install.exe file and "run as Adminstrator" An irritating security feature of Vista. Although you are a user/Administrator, (I'm assuming that is the status you have?), you are not a power Adminstrator.
    You do not say which Vista version you are using, but you can, in the advanced versions, also create a Power user account, as you may have been more used to in XP.
    Go to Start/All Programs and right click the command prompt.
    Type Control UserPasswords2.
    Click Advanced.
    Click Advanced again.
    Select Users.
    Select Administrator and untick the the box “Administrator is disabled”
    Now log out and login as Administrator.

3. winifred

winifred Thread Starter

Thanks, but running the setup as administrator doesn't change anything. It's vista home premium 2006, so the power administrator option does not exist (referring to what you suggested, the second "advanced" option is not in fuction).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice