1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Log/Software of all internet requests?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jpboyrox, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpboyrox

jpboyrox Thread Starter

I want to find out what URL/IP is being requested by some software. Do I need software to do this? Is there a log on my computer already? What can I do?
    btw, sorry if my terminology is not correct, I don't really know what I am taking about hahaha

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Some third party firewalls can be configured to log every outgoing connection.

Parental Control software may also be able to log connections.

Most routers will have a log of some kind, but will only show which PC made the connection, not which application on a PC

You can use the netstat command in a Command Prompt as well:
    Click Start | Run (or press WinKey+R), type cmd, press Enter.
    Type netstat -b and press Enter.

This will show all current connections and the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) (if it can determine it), and the executable file that is associated with it.
    (For Vista and later, you must also use the -F switch to get the FQDN and it must be run from an elevated prompt).

You can redirect the output to a file, and specify an interval and it will repeat every X seconds until you press CTRL+C
    netstat -b 60>>"%Userprofile%\Desktop\ConnectionLog.txt"

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977399

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice