1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Logged in as Administrator but cannot change display adapter

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sbauer, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sbauer

sbauer Thread Starter

I am logged in as the Adminstrator on My win2k server but I cannot change the display adapter. I have a ATI Radeon but the system is limiting me to 800X600 and 16 colors. It shows the Monitor Correctly as an NEC XV17.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Dan O

Dan O

Try uninstalling it before installing a new version, use Add/Remove Programs within the Control Panel.

3. sbauer

sbauer Thread Starter

When I try to uninstall the driver the system responds as if the driver uninstalled, but when I reboot, it is still there.

Also in the display settings, I am not being allowed to even change the display adapter type (no pulldown or button). I want to go to Standard VGA as a baseline.

Thank for the quick response

4. Dan O

Dan O

Have you tried when in VGA mode? Which is selected during booting.

5. sbauer

sbauer Thread Starter

Same is true when I boot in VGA mode. Cannot change the display adapter type.

It all started when I was downloading the security updates from MS, and it said there was a video driver update. I downloaded the driver update from MS, and when I rebooted the video was screwed up. Booted in Safe Mode, and VGA mode, and neither place allows me to change the display adapter type.

I guessing the next step is to put in an older adapter to see if the Plug-and-Pray will recognize it and change the driver that way.

I'm still confused though as to why I can't change the adapter type even though I'm the Admin.

6. p5mmx10g

p5mmx10g

you should reinstall vga driver using the cd that came with the vga card, with out the correct driver, you only can do 16 color

7. Brooks

Brooks Guest

That is an ATI card, they have some of the crappiest driver updating that I have ever seen. And if somehow it gets damaged, nothing in the world will allow you to repair the drivers, or update them etc....

I had a similar problem with a Rage Fury once, although mine stated that I could only choose 1x1 screen resolution with 16 bit color and of course windows told me that was invalid and loaded the vga drivers. I could not reinstall the drivers (it kept doing to me as it did to you) so, I did as you are thinking about doing, I put in an old STB card I had, rebooted, let it pick it up and install the proper drivers. Shutdown, took the old card out and put my new card in and then booted up. Let it pick up the card and then put the drivers from my cd on it.

8. sbauer

sbauer Thread Starter

I tried swapping out cards, it picked up the driver for the newly installed card, but still didn't let me change the adapter type (only look at the properties). I put the ATI adapter back in no change.

I tried updating the driver from the CD, still no change.

Why is Windows locking me out from changing the display adapter type when I am logged on as administrator??

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!