1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Logged in with temporary profile

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Elynda, Nov 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Elynda

Elynda Thread Starter

Hi,
    I am having problems with a laptop, a different one than I am using at the moment. Everything has been fine with it till now. I haven't changed any settings on it, all I been doing is is installing games, but now when I boot it up I am finding an entirely different desktop to what I left off with, and a pop up message that tells me I am logged on with a temporary profile and that I will be unable to access my files. It suggests trying to log on at a different time. I have tried that and the same thing happens. I have tried using system restore and that got me back to my original set up, but the very next time I started the computer the same thing happened. I am using Windows 7.

2. Elynda

Elynda Thread Starter

I think I may have resolved it. I made another admin account with a different name and moved all my files into the new user folder. Then I deleted the old admin account and renamed the new one to the original name. It appears to be working. When I'm certain I'll report the issue as solved.

3. Elynda

Elynda Thread Starter

It happened again! I've never had this happen on any computer before, what could be causing it? How can I prevent it happening again?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Probably lots of things can cause a profile to become corrupted. One for which you can do some checking is a hard drive going bad. Be sure to run a disk check or other diagnostics on your hard drive.

5. Elynda

Elynda Thread Starter

Yes, I'll try that, thanks. I did what I did the first time, and things seem to be working okay so far. I also ran a scan with Security Essentials and it found and eliminated five suspicious items, so maybe that might have fixed it. We'll see...

6. Elynda

Elynda Thread Starter

Just finished running disk check (took around four hours!) bad clusters replaced, nothing else untoward. Maybe that was the problem, I dunno - really don't understand these things. Well, hopefully it'll be okay now, I shall just have to wait and see.

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    bad clusters don't get replaced - they stay bad. The bad clusters get marked so nothing gets written to them.

I'd run chkdsk in a few days and if the bad clusters increse. it is a sign that your hard drive is dying.
    Then you'd better image your hard drive while it still works and look into replacing it before it dies completely and you have no access to your programs and files.

8. Elynda

Elynda Thread Starter

Okay, noted. I'll have to run it overnight again, it takes so long. After a clean up and a defrag the computer is performing beautifully, but I want to be certain the problem is fixed before I start installing stuff or saving data on there. Thanks for your advice.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!