1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Logging into devices on my network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Patrick2, Jul 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Patrick2

Patrick2 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G540T @ 2.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3980 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1798 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 449 GB (275 GB Free); D: 15 GB (1 GB Free);
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, 2AE2
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I'm unable to access any of my network devices using its IP address!! I've tried this from both this desktop pc and my laptop also running the same version of windows. Both of these PC's are on the same wifi network along with some smart phones and a smart tv. I'm using Chrome in all cases to attempt access but get the same error message indicating failure due to timeout etc.

My network router (modem) is the F2000 model which facilitates 2.4 and 5.g bandwidth on fibre. I have no problem whatsoever using the network wifi for ALL of my devices. however I did perform a reset of the F2000 which didn't fix the issue of accessing any of the ip addresses when entering them is the Chrome search bar.

My reason for trying to access these ip address thru Chrome is to due with wanting to use apps (phone or pc) to allow wifi transfer of photos and casting from smartphone or pc to the smart tv.

Hence I'm seeking help in this matter.
    Cheers, Patrick2

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    They fail to respond to ping? Probably a firewall blocking.

Trying to access each as a web page? Do the target computers have some application running that is listening for such requests? What application? Might there be a firewall blocking?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That's not how it works, you can't just access a computer with an IP address through a browser unless you set up a web server on the computers or the devices unless they have web interface already setup, like a NAS would. Computers, cell phones, and many casting devices do not have a web browser accessible by default.

Can you explain what your actual end result is that you are looking for? Is it just casting things to your SmartTV? If so you what casting options does your TV support? Google Cast, Miracast, etc? What model of TV is it? If you want to share pictures or other media between computers then you need to setup file sharing on a computer or use a NAS, media server(ie. PLEX), or router connected storage device.

4. Patrick2

Patrick2 Thread Starter

Appreciate responses, thank you. Each device connected to the network responds ok to a ping. I'm using Windows 10 Defender which I disabled. There are no particular applications running on the Smart TV or my Laptop (which I was trying to link to from the IPhone app WiFi-Photo. The other IPhone app which failed to access the Smart TV is WiDisplay. Can't think of anything else just at the moment to add to the pot!!

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There's nothing you can connect too on the PC or phone through a web browser so no need to try to continue that, nor any need too.

Can you post the full model number of the TV, it'll be on the back and probably in some menu too. ie. Samsung LN850S-TVUS

IF you want to upload your pics from your iPhone to a computer then you can sync them both to iCloud.

6. Patrick2

Patrick2 Thread Starter

Should have mentioned that I'm trying to cast to the TV from the IPhone app. I can cast to it using Chromecast but want another method of doing this and the app WiDisplay is supposed to do it!! In the case of the other app WiFi-Photo the instructions when I run the app on the IPhone it asks me to enter a particular IP address - i.e. 192.168.1.1:15555 into a browser.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your TV's IP address is unlikely to be 192.168.1.1, usually the first IP address in a range like that is the router. But...

WiDisplay appears to be an app that turns your iPhone into a display for a computer, the computer would need the server app installed as well to allow the phone app to display things from the computer. It is not for casting from your phone to the TV.

To cast to your TV use Google Cast or Miracast if that's supported by your TV.

Sounds like you're confusing several different things.

8. Patrick2

Patrick2 Thread Starter

The TV is a Toshiba Smart TV - model number 49U5766DB. I'm aware that I can use iCloud as you suggest but would ideally prefer to use another method and I tried several with WiFI-Photo being the last I tried. Interesting almost all of them requested me to enter a particular IP Address into a browser !!

9. Patrick2

Patrick2 Thread Starter

Your correct, the app WiFi-Photo is intended to display photos and videos on the phone to a PC (in this case it was my Windows Laptop) and not to the TV if I inferred that, sorry. Whereas the Wi-Display app is from a smart phone or pc to the Toshiba Smart TV.

10. Patrick2

Patrick2 Thread Starter

Miracast does not seem to be supported by Windows 10 and I haven't tried Google Cast but I now will, thanks.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you referring to this app: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/wifi-photo-transfer/id380326191?mt=8

In that's the case you run the app on the phone and use the address for it displays to access it from a computer. The app is what allows you to access the phone by IP address by creating "server" on the phone.

A quick glance at the TV specs indicate it supports Miracast and not Google Cast. IOS devices do support Miracast, Windows 10 does if it has the right hardware and driver; use Cortana to search for Connect To A Wireless Display, it should be under Settings. If not try installing the latest wireless card drivers. Android supports it in modern devices.

12. Patrick2

Patrick2 Thread Starter

Really appreciate your advice (and patience!) with my issue. Re wifi-photo-transfer I thought I did as you outlined - i.e. I ran it from the Iphone and entered the IP Address it gave into my windows LapTop and the pc just timed out with a failed to connect error!! I therefore assumed it was some form of network problem. I again confirm that both the Iphone and the LapTop are on the same network and operating just fine.

Re the Toshiba TV I'll do as you suggest to try get Miracast to operate on my LapTop as you outlined, thanks.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you accidentally omit the word "not", Rob? All I've ever been able to find in iOS is Apple's AirPrint.
    Edit: "AirPrint" should have been "AirPlay." My excuse is that I've only ever used it for printing. :)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  14. Patrick2

Patrick2 Thread Starter

Hi, I have to leave this issue as I need to tackle a domestic chore. I would ask that you consider that this is my first troubleshooting technical issues on the web - so I may have to learn how this interaction works. So your patience is very welcome and appreciated. I'll say goodbye for now and will check in again tomorrow. have a good day.
    Patrick2

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, sorry. It does not support it. Apple supports AirPlay.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212412

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice