1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Logging off / USB flashdrives

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 4leafclov3r, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 4leafclov3r

4leafclov3r Thread Starter

I've been having this problem lately, I have no idea what's causing it and it has been bugging me for almost forever :mad:

Most of the times, after I have finished accessing/editing/doing whatever I need on my flashdrive, I'd plug it back out (of course done by using the Safely-Remove-Hardware thingy) right? Yeah. I noticed that whenever I finished with it and I try to log-off (and switch to another user account that is logged on), I can't. It gets -REALLY- slow, and after the blue screen with the window logo and the words "Logging off..." appears, it gets stuck there for a LONG time, and then it sort-of freezes. Black screen, nothing happens. I have to do a hard reset.

It doesn't happen with the flashdrive before. At first I thought it was a problem with the computer, so I reformatted everything. It still happens. Then I thought it was with the flashdrive, so I took it to another computer, do every thing I could think of that I'd be doing usually but it doesn't happen.

If it's incompatibility issue between my flashdrive and my motherboard, why does it not happen in the past? Why does it not happen if all I did with it was plug it in, do a thorough scan (avira antivir, spybot, adaware) and then plug it back out? Sometimes I even plug it in and access files I would usually access, and the logging off problem doesn't even happen.

If it's my motherboard, why doesn't it EVER happen with another flashdrive?

Could it be that if it's plugged in too long it causes the problem? Sounds unlikely -_-;

Or is it crashing because another user is logged on? What would be the 'cause of it? Now that I think about it, whenever I do a thorough scan there is no other user logged on to the computer =/

But I don't know.. I'd appreciate any help I can get =/

Comp specs:
    WindowsXP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66 GHz
    2.67 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM
    ATI Radeon X1600/X1650 Series (512 MB)
    DirectX Version: 9.0C

Thanks in advance.
    - Ian

2. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

So I take it the computer you are using is sort of new?

I think it is a problem with the hardware that the USB flashdrive installs. Try to uninstall the device using the device manager and restart your computer. Plug the flash drive in again and see what happens?

I doub't it has anything to do with your system or its configuration.

3. 4leafclov3r

Correct. Sort of new because I just reformatted the whole thing. It's still new though because this computer was "built" no more than a year ago =P

Anyway, what do you mean by the hardware that the USB flashdrive installs? Could you perhaps rephrase that? :eek:

I've always figured if it's anything with that the hardware installs, since I did a reformat it shouldn't happen anymore - and the fact that it doesn't happen when I "used" it for less than 10 minutes on the same computer but with no other user account logged on (and even tried on other computers for hours.. doesn't seem to have a similar problem) >_<

- Ian

4. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

When I mean "installs", you know how you plug in the flash drive for the first time. and a little window at the bottom right corner pops up.

Stating i.e. "New Device Found", "Cruzer Mini", "Hardware successfuly installed", "Your device is now ready to use".

It installed files such as .dll's and .ini's to allow the flash drive to work on the computer.

I suggest just trying a new flash drive on this computer to see if the old one is having issues.

I recommend a different brand.

5. 4leafclov3r

I tried that, the problem does not occur on a new flashdrive. Off the records, it didn't even happen in the past with the exact same flashdrive =/

The fact that it doesn't happen when I did (a few times) a scan and a quick access/edit of files (all done within less than 10, maybe 5 minutes) with no other user account logged on at the same time makes me wonder if it starts to corrupt the hell out of things if it's plugged in for a long time with another account logged on =/ But it really, really sounds weird and all my years coming across problems with my computer, I have to say this is the first one not fixed even after reformatting the whole damn thing.

And the first one I can't find an answer after months of going through different help forums too, lol :p

- Ian

6. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Wow!

have you tried it on another users account on the same computer?

7. 4leafclov3r

Let's go over it again..

The flashdrive (let's call it flashdrive "A" .. haha) is actually my brother's now. It used to be mine. We have different user accounts on the computer. I have another flashdrive (let's call it flashdrive "B")

The problem happens when (at least this is how I noticed) Flashdrive A is used on my brother's user account for like 2 hours-ish while my account is logged on at the same time.

The problem does NOT happen:

1. When I used flashdrive A on MY account (total time used < 5 minutes) when his account is LOGGED OFF

2. When I used flashdrive B on MY account (even if it's plugged all day long).. I haven't really tried using flashdrive B on HIS account

3. When HE uses flashdrive A on another computer (plugged on all day long)

There you go. Now that I typed all those, I figured I should've did that the first time to make it simpler to understand =x

- Ian

8. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

So you don't have this problem?
    I would try to do remote assistance so I could see but its against the TOS.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice