1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Logical Disk Manager does not start: system cannot find the file

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by N_Obi, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. N_Obi

N_Obi Thread Starter

Hi all,

I am twiddeling with that problem quite a long time, I searched google a lot and tried a lot of things to find a solution:
    The problem sounds not so difficult:
    Whenever I start the Logical Disk Manager i get the Message "The system cannot find the file specified" in the event log.
    How can I find out what file is missing? I checked all files that were given by PrcView.exe in the "Modules" list of svchost.exe -k netsvcs. (quite a lot) they all seem to exist. Could the Error message be inaccurate? Maybe that something different goes wrong (e.g. firewall).

Is there someone who can give me a hint how to proceed? Is there a tool that debugs the start of the service to make a bit clearer where the porblem is.

Thanks in advance.

YRS N_OBI :(

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Welcome to TSG!

Do you mean you are trying to start this service (it should already be running), or access Disk Management from within Computer Management or by typing diskmgmt.msc into the Run box?
    Please be specific about the exact steps to cause the error.

Also, do you get an error on screen, or only see one in the Event Viewer?

The Event Viewer message may list the file name, but it will be in the hex data at the bottom. With one of those messages displayed, click the Copy button (right under the down arrow button) then paste the error into your next reply (click in reply window then press ctrl+v)

HTH

Jerry

3. N_Obi

N_Obi Thread Starter

Thnx, Jerry, Ill try that tonight....

4. N_Obi

N_Obi Thread Starter

Dear Outcaste,

I am sorry, but there is no data assigned with the error message. The error occures, when I try to start the service in the "SERVICES.MSC" Program window.
    The only information I get is that there is a fle missing.
    Are there any tools to followup the message?

Thanks in advance
    N_obi

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You shouldn't have to go into services.msc to start the Logical Disk Manager.

In Services.msc, double click the Logical Disk Manager
    What is the startup type? It should be Automatic.
    If it's not, change it.

Make sure Path to executable: reads:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

(Drive letter and Windows folder name may be different on your system)
    Also make sure both Plug and Play and Remote Procedure Call (RPC) are started.

Also check the Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service
    It's startup type should be Manual

Also, can you post one of the Event Viewer Error messages?
    With one of those messages displayed, click the Copy button (right under the down arrow button) then paste the error into your next reply (click in reply window then press ctrl+v)

And, are there any other errors in the Event Viewer that occur when the system boots?

Jerry

6. N_Obi

N_Obi Thread Starter

Dear Outcaste,
    thanks for the reply.
    In fact I already tried most of your suggestions thank you very much.

Good idea looking at the bootup messages. There are a couple of messages, all complaining about services that cannot be startet - due to a missing file.

Sorry but the Events are all displayed in german language :eek:
    I try to translate: The first is saying that the DHCP client couldn't be startet as it is missing a "module". I think that could be the root of al evils.
    Then the services "Aspi32" and (my friend) the "Logical Disk Manager" were refusing obedience :D, both providing a "missing file" message.
    By the way, that reminds me to the fact that my machine has also problems with the DHCP process: It waits forever obtaining the net-address. Now feeling like sherlock holmes i will go on searching.

Thanks and good night :cool:
    Norbert

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!