Logical drive contains OS ?????

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

abudahim

My operating system is windows XP.
recently i have installed Windows Vista on separate partition.
i found today that Windows Vista is install on one of logical drives on an extended partition . im confused now :confused: :confused: . because i know that any OS connot be installed on an extended partition .
any clarification please !!

here is a picture of my disk partition ...

Attachments

crjdriver

Why not???
You can install nt based os like win2k / xp in any partition you want. Vista is the same way. It will write some files to the root of your boot drive. For vista this would be the BCD [boot configuration data] files. For xp / win2k, it is ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini.

I have the same setup with Vista RC1 on a logical with W2K as the primary. It's no problem and totally normal.

abudahim

crjdriver said:
Why not???
You can install nt based os like win2k / xp in any partition you want. Vista is the same way. It will write some files to the root of your boot drive. For vista this would be the BCD [boot configuration data] files. For xp / win2k, it is ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini.
sorry im beginner on these kinds of issues , but im referring to the Windows Help and I understand that Operating systems must be installed ONLY on a Primary partiton . and here is a quote:

An extended partition is a way to get around a limit on the number of primary partitions a basic disk can have. An extended partition is a container that can hold one or more logical drives. Logical drives function like primary partitions except that they cannot be used to start an operating system.

crjdriver

The operative word there is "start" as I posted both vista and win2k / xp will load boot files on to the root of your boot drive. The logical drive can contain an os, however the BCD or boot files must be on the root of the first drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online