1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

login occurence

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cliffb, Nov 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cliffb

cliffb Thread Starter

When I login to my computer to windows XP and reach the Desk Top window. I immediately get 3 popups.

The first reads "Procedure Entry Point apsSearchInterface could not be located in the dynamic link Library wlanapi.dll.

The second pretty much cofirms the first and the third reads............
    Invalid BackWeb version id 7.2.0.157-8876480Sl and an O.K. to acknowlege to be clicked on.

I also have Internet Express and Outlook Express.

2. allheart55

allheart55

Welcome to TSG cliffb.:D

This is a known issue..

The issue is because the same dll (wlanapi.dll) is installed by both the device driver and XP-SP3..
    To correct this error message you need to install the latest driver of the wireless NIC on your machine..​

Microsoft has already addressed this issue at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950720 ..​

3. cliffb

cliffb Thread Starter

I sent in ealier today a problem just after logging in to Windows XP and on the Desk ToP Page

My XP installation came with my computer almost 2 years ago. And I have not installed anything relative lately.

The solution given me was to install latest driver of the Wireless NIC and I have no idea where to find such an item. Dummy that I am attimes.

But I do appreciate the person who triedto help me, realy. CJ Brehme

4. The Hound

The Hound

Try this:

Click START and click RUN.
    In the run line, type DEVMGMT.MSC (that's a period (.) between T and M)
    Click OK
    When the Device Manager opens, scroll down to the Network Adapters category (they're arranged alphabetically), and click the + in the little box to expand.

Look to see which wireless adapter is installed--mine is an Intel Pro Wireless 2915ABG--yours will probably be different (see the picture attached)

You can get the latest drivers in two ways--

If you have a name-brand machine like a Dell or a Gateway, go to the manufacturer's website to find the driver for the brand-specific version of your Wireless NIC that's installed on your machine.

If you can't do that, or if your machine is a custom rig or has an after-market wireless NIC, go to the site of the manufacturer of the NIC-mine would be at the Intel support site.

If you'll post what you find in your device manager here, someone can help you to find the driver for your Wireless NIC.

[​IMG]

5. cliffb

cliffb Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I pursued your instructions to some point where it said I could down load some sort of NIC thing, which I did, but dum that I seem to be, I cant find it or where it went. In anycase I still have the problem and find it most difficult to make contact with Dell or IE etc.

When I cool down, I'll give it another go, but I keep wondering, what if I uninstalled IE and reinstalled how would that effect all that I have done with the present IE. Do you happen to know about that. Someone told me to go to Firefox, it being supposedly simpler, but that scares me on how I'd be able to oontact all the Stuff I have on IE. If you make any sense here I'd be pleased to see what you thoughts are on the subject. Agan thanks. CJ or cliffb

6. The Hound

The Hound

I don't think switching to Firefox will make this process any easier, but when your NIC is fixed up you can feel free to download and try Firefox at your leisure.

For now, why don't you post the make and model of your computer--like Dell Dimension 2400, or whatever--and the make and model of your wireless NIC as shown in the Device Manager. We can give you more specific instructions about how to download and install the new driver for the NIC if we have more information about your machine and the hardware installed in it.

Take a breath. This can be fixed.

Woof.

7. cliffb

cliffb Thread Starter

To: The Hound, Thank you very much for your response and help/

You asked for the details of my computer so here is the best I can do at the moment.

My computer is a Dell Dimension 2400.

I could not find the exact heading Wireless NIC, so here is my guess list.

Disk Drive....ST 340014A

Display Adapter..Intel(R)8284G/GL/GE/PE/GV

Network Adapter...Broadcom 40x 10/100 Inter---Controller

Processors... Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40 GHz

I can only hope one of these is right, but will stand corrected. CJ

8. The Hound

The Hound

Okay--you're looking in the right place.

Where you found the Broadcom 40x 10/100...
    Do you see any other network adapters?

You're very close...

Let's try something different...

Click START
    Click CONTROL PANEL
    When the Control Panel opens, look in the left pane, and if it's available, click SWITCH TO CLASSIC VIEW.
    If all that's available there is SWITCH TO CATEGORY VIEW, then leave it be--don't click it.
    [​IMG]
    The icons should be listed alphabetically---find and double-click NETWORK CONNECTIONS.

[​IMG]

If you find more than one network connection listed there--you probably will--try this:

Right click--that means to click only once on the icon with the right mouse button--the Wireless Network Connection. That will open a small menu.

Left Click PROPERTIES from the bottom of that menu.

Now look in the box near the top of the window that opens--under 'Connect Using' and next to the Configure button. Tell us what device you see listed there.
    [​IMG]

If you don't find a wireless connection listed, then we're looking for the wrong solution. Let us know, and we'll look for another way to fix this.

9. cliffb

cliffb Thread Starter

HI guys, well we must be in the wrong lane because there is no Wireless Network Connection, just the first two mentioned, Internet Connectio, and Local.

In the same window, underneath the first two are

New Connection Wizard Network Setup Wizard

Hope this helps. CJ

10. The Hound

The Hound

Okay. As I reread your original post, it appears that the second message (the third popup) is an unrelated issue. The Invalid Backweb message may be related to another piece of hardware--I see it happens with Logitech keyboards and mice---maybe webcams. It's also installed with some other things.

Try this next:

Click START
    Click RUN
    In the Run line, type APPWIZ.CPL (that's a period (.) between the Z and the C.)
    Click OK.

The list of installed programs will 'populate' alphabetically---let's check to see if Backweb is installed there. If it is, click the Remove button--it's non-essential.

If you don't find it there, we'll try something else.

I'll do some more studying on the wlanapi.dll error. You said in your original post that the second popup 'confirmed' the first. Is it identical--word for word--or is it slightly different? If there's a difference, please post the word for word text of the second error message.

11. The Hound

The Hound

CJ--if you bought the machine second-hand, it's possible that the last owner used a wireless device that's no longer installed.

While you're checking your installed applications for the Backweb app, look to see if you have Wireless NIC software installed from Belkin, D-Link, Linksys, or Netgear. There are other possible brand names, but those are the first four manufacturers of wireless NICs that come to mind.

I suspect that if you can locate and uninstall the software for a wireless NIC that's not attached to the computer any more, you may solve the first issue.

12. cliffb

cliffb Thread Starter

Hello again, and please know that I am very grateful for your help.

Now, no, there is no Back Web listed.

And no, my Dell was brand new.

I am going to have to shut computer down and start over to make sure the reading of the second popup is any different, so will be back shortly.

Oh while I was into the installations I have an installation of Professor Teaches Dreamweaver 4, which I do not use, but when I try to uninstall it, I get a notice that INTALL.LOG file, could not be started. Is there a blitch in there somewhere?

13. cliffb

cliffb Thread Starter

O.K., here is the first popup or whatever.

Air GCFG.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure point aps Search Interface could not be located in the dynamic link Library wlanapi.dll.

The Second popup reads:

WZCSLDR2LDR2.EXE Entry Point not found.

the procedure entry point aps Initialize could not be located in the dynamic link Library wlanapi.dll

I hope this helps. I might add that there is an installation Air Plus G in the long list of installations.

Again thanks. cliffb

14. The Hound

The Hound

It does help...I think you've found the culprit, CJ. Use the add/remove programs method to uninstall the Air Plus G. Reboot when you've finished, and see if the first two popups stop. I think they will.

The Backweb installation is probably part of another installation--let's hope it's part of the Air Plus G. If it is, all your popups should stop.

15. cliffb

cliffb Thread Starter

A good idea, but the problem now is that I can't uninstall the Air Plus G. When I click on uninstall the process goes to Install Sheild Wizard, goes through a few page changes, and winds up right back the way it was.

I cannot find the Sheild Wizard to get rid of it wherever, but all the same results. My wall is getting so dented, and my head is gettin sore. Hmmm?

Boy, I am sure giving you a headache too probably, but I know you will have an answer sooner or later. So much thanks. CJ

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/880641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice