Solved Login Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Peterbgoode

I have an Acer Aspire ES-11 laptop using Windows 10. This has worked perfectly for 2 years but this morning when I turned it on and entered the password to access my computer, I received a message saying "Password incorrect for your Microsoft account" The password is a 4 digit number and and was working perfectly last night. It also says I can reset the password at account.live.com but the problem I have is that the email address I used when I set up the password ( this appears below my name on the login screen) was with Freeserve and is now obsolete. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm posting this from my home desk computer.

Last edited:

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What is this "Freeserve"?

Who has control of the email account at live.com?
Have you tried going to Live.com and try logging to that email account?

Peterbgoode

Freeserve was the email provider I used when I had my first computer around 2001. It was subsequently taken over by Orange, but the email address remained the same. Hence I used this address when I purchased my laptop around 2 years ago. Orange withdrew all their email accounts including Freeserve in March last year and I opened a new email account with Gmail. When I first used my laptop I was asked for an email address and a 4 digit numeric password to unlock my computer when I logged on. Never gave this a thought until this morning. I logged on and accessed the internet via Google Chrome. A message came on the screen saying an error had been encountered and some information was being collected and would restart when this was done.. This has happened before and usually takes about a minute. After which I enter my password again and continue onto the internet. This morning it booted up within the normal minute but when I tried to log-on I got the " Password for my Microsoft account is incorrect". I am not very knowledgeable about computers and am at a total loss what to do.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If they are an email provider, why was a Live and/or Gmail address used?

Have you gone to Gmail.com and tried logging into your email address there?

Live.com and Gmail.com are both different free email providers and are not linked to each other.

Most email programs require at least 6 if not 8 characters, upper/lower case and special.
Never was allowed to use 4 numbers as if it was a PIN.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online