Login problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hrc85

Hi everyone! When I turn my computer on everything is OK until the list of users should be displayed. But instead of that there is a black screen displayed and I cannot log in. Does anybody know what's wrong? Please let me know. It's very important.

hrc85

I've tried to boot in "last good configuration..." mode but problem is still there. Instead of login screen with the list of users there is black screen.
Here is more detailed story:
I've bought new hard disc that day and installed fresh version of Windows XP Pro on it. After that I needed to restart my PC several times because I've installed drivers and so on. I've also installed the newest Windows Updates. Everything worked very well few hours and then suddenly when I restarted my PC once more screen turns black instead of displaying list of users for login. When I turn on my PC now everything is fine (memory check,...) until this login screen where i have to enter my password and Windows has to be finally loaded.

When I boot in Safe Mode there is login screen and I can enter my password without any problem.

Maybe you have more good suggestions. If you have please let me know.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
sounds like a corrupted video driver. Try uninstalling the driver when you are in safe mode or look to see if there is a new driver for you video card.

hrc85

LwdSquashman said:
sounds like a corrupted video driver. Try uninstalling the driver when you are in safe mode or look to see if there is a new driver for you video card.
Situation is like this right now:
I did a Repair of my Windows XP Pro and now i am able to log in but only sometimes. Sometimes there is the same problem as before.

Whan I was doing the Repair there was a message which said that Windows cannot install drivers for my Nvidia Riva TNT2 video card from Windows XP instalation CD because they don't appreciate new Windows XP standards. Then I downloaded new drivers from Nvidia web site and when I was updating drivers the same message arrived.

Do you have any suggestions ?

Install the drivers from the NVidia site. When the message pops up, click to install anyway. The drivers will work fine. They just have not completed all the testing.

hrc85

Elvandil said:
Install the drivers from the NVidia site. When the message pops up, click to install anyway. The drivers will work fine. They just have not completed all the testing.
I have installed new Nvidia drivers and everything is OK right now.
Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
By the way....Welcome to TSG!

Stick around, you might learn a thing of two. There is alot of great technical people around here. Elvandil & Jedi Master are a couple of the best around.

hrc85
Great news. It's not usually a good idea to use unsigned drivers, but if they are from a reputable source, they are usually safe. Sometimes, you have no choice.

LwdSquashman
Thank you, too. What a nice thing to say!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online