Login Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lyzard

Logged in to my system this morning the same way as always with my user name, I'll call it "user", and my password.

My computer brought me to a new desktop as if I had created a new user, apps were not in the toolbars like I had setup and the were no documents in my documents folder. Did some looking around. My user name is still there, available for login and it's documents folder still has all of my documents. But when I try to login using my name, "user" I keep getting this new user environment. I did notice that there is now another user name available that I have not seen before.... user.USER That's new. Haven't seen it before. Also there is an ASP.NET user folder, that I have never noticed before.

I can work around this problem, but would like to set up my computer the same way it was, i.e. typing in my user name and password and having my desktop and documents available in my My Documents folder.

Any ideas as to what happened?

Thanks,

Trae

looks like you're logging on to a temporary user profile.

This article describes how to recover a damaged Windows XP user profile

the aspnet_wp or ASP.NET Machine Account is created when the Microsoft .Net Framework is installed.

and here's how to configure Windows XP to automate the logon process:

1. Click Start, click Run, and type control userpasswords2.

2. Clear the Users must enter a username and password to use this computer check box.

3. Click Apply.

4. Enter the user name and password you wish to automatically log on with, and then click OK.

5. Click OK again and you're all done.

lyzard

Thanks for the quick reply. This computer is running 2000 NT service pack 4. The solutions offered didn't seem to work.

Is there even a restore option in 2000? Can't find it if there is.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online