1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Login Script Drive Mapping to NAS

Discussion in 'Networking' started by always4225, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. always4225

always4225 Thread Starter

I'm running a SBS 03 domain server. Each user has the same login script. The login script bat file includes the std drivemapping command, ex:

net use n: \\server\network-data

I need to map drives to the LAN NAS (Network Accessable Storage). I'm using:

net use o: \\nas002\data

The NAS requires every user to have a login name and password. Everytime I run the bat file, it prompts for the user name and password.

I know there is a string I can add to the net use string to automatically send the user name and password but I can't remember what it is. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Can't you synchronize the usernames and passwords.

3. always4225

always4225 Thread Starter

Technically I can but it's much easier to pick a single user name and p/w and use it to authenticate with the NAS.

4. jmwills

jmwills

SBS allows for an auto redirect of your My Docs folder so wouldn't that work?

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

net use Z: \\computername\sharename password /user:domain\username /persistent:no

6. Jark

Jark

Hi,

I'm trying to get my NAS to be a bit more user friendly by logging in on boot up and am looking at using 'net use'

I have a NAS with a host name 'NAS' it has a user 'Home'. I have mapped this az Z:

The NAS and all the other PCs are in workgroup 'Jark'

When I click on Z: (shortcut on desktop) the user name is already filled in and I just have to enter the password. I can then access the files fine.

What I want to do is have this connection restored on boot up. It seems simple, however the thread so far talks about a lot more stuff than I seem to have variables for.

I have copied this from the thread:
    net use Z: \\computername\sharename password /user:domain\username /persistent:no

In my case....

Computer name is 'NAS'?
    Share name is 'Home'?
    password I have OK
    but user?
    & username?
    & domain?

I might be barking up the wrong tree from the off, as I am starting to get the feeling that what I want to do isn't supported in XP home.

I also thought about doing this through the 'edit user accounts' 'manage network passwords' route but that doesn't seem to be supported in XP Home either.

If anyone can offer some words of advice I'd be very grateful.

Regards

Jark

7. Jark

Jark

I eventually found a way of logging on to a network drive automatically in XP Home. It's a bit long-winded but it works.

1) Make sure you have a password setup on your XP login.
    2) Install Syncback software.

http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html#freeware

It is a backup bit of software and is excellent.

3) On your C: drive create a directory Autologin and put a small file in it.

4) Copy this directory and file to your network drive.

5) Set up a profile in syncback to backup the file on the C: drive to the file on the network drive. In the profile click on the 'advanced' tab to get more options and then click on 'Expert' to get even more. In there you will find a tab called 'network'. Enter the password and login for the network in the destination. Click the 'do not disconnect drive after run' box

6) Highlight the profile and click on 'schedule'. Set the schedule to run at login (not system startup) and enter your XP password when asked.

Reboot and verify that it connects properly.

Works great on two different machines for me and means that you have a good backup bit of software too.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice