1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Login then logs off Unable to to get to safe mode

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by HOBOcs, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Not sure how to describe this one. Suspect Virus has corrupted this pc.

User claims a Virus (Fake) protection program was popping up.
    I suspect badly infected as I know the user....

Now...User attemps to log in on networked computer (WinXP Home SP3) and after entering password the screen blanks and the computer reboots.

I'm unable to get to safe mode as the same thing happens when I select the "Administrator" or the User and their password.

Action: so far
    1) I removed the Hard Drive from the infected pc and attached as external drive and ran AVG Free 9.0 and Malwarebytes - both found tons of stuff. (Malwarebytes appeared to clean up the Fake anti-spyware - to what extent I'm not sure.
    2) Restored drive to original computer and am getting same issues. Unalbe to login or get to safe mode... any of them.

Thinking about running WinXP Repair
    Any other suggestions appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/900369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice