1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Login/User Account Troubles

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gargamel51, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gargamel51

gargamel51 Thread Starter

I was having trouble shutting down my laptop (programs freezing and such), so stupidly I held down the power button, even though it was accessing the hard drive sporadically. Anyway, I've since rebooted and now whenever I try to log into my user account, I get the message: "The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain are correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case." At first I thought I may have corrupted my user account files, but I get this message no matter which account I try to log on with (including the Administrator account). So anyway, I can't get into safe mode either because that also requires me to log on as somebody and thus gives the same error.

Does anyone know if I might have corrupted some file that can be strategically replaced, thus magically allowing me to log on again, or is the whole situation hopeless and I'll have to reformat?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. lilmeanman

lilmeanman

You may want to check out this site on lost admin passwords:
    http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm
    You can try the first option, if that won't work, try using one of the bootable floppies, I have tried this myself on Windows 2000 Pro and XP and the floppies always work. Good luck!

3. gargamel51

gargamel51 Thread Starter

It's not a lost password, the admin account actually has no password. Even though I'm typing in the information correctly, I still get that error box. I would use a bootable floppy but my laptop has no floppy or optical drive. I'm stuck with using the preinstalled recovery utility (which can copy files from a USB hard drive, etc.).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!