1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Login using Administrator account?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Cowpoke, Dec 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cowpoke

Cowpoke Thread Starter

I'm reading "Windows Security Inside and Out" by Bott & Siechert , published by Microsoft. It states that there is always a built-in "Administrator" account which is often not visible on the Welcome screen. I read somewhere that the default password for this account is blank. They recommend logging on to this account and setting up a password to enhance security.

I boot up and arrive at the Welcome screen and then do two Cont-Alt-Del's to get to the old fashion login screen. I enter Administrator with a blank password. In my case I get a Login Message: "Unable to log you on because of an account restriction" Am I missing something? Is the default password not blank?

Thanks.

2. sleekluxury

sleekluxury

I think you may have to go to User Accounts and set a password for it first, maybe.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The default blank password would only be accurate if that is what was given during the install. Typically, due to security issues, I don't like to install with blank admin passwords.

Hopefully you have another local user with admin rights. Then you can change that password to whatever you like.

Also just one of the times what is in books is not what is in the real world ;-)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/186878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice