1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Logitech c270 webcam and Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Epilogic, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Epilogic

Epilogic Thread Starter

HI,

I am running Windows 7 on my laptop, which has a Celeron 900 2.2GHz single core processor and 2GB of RAM.

Up until yesterday I was happily making Skype calls simultaneously with watching videos in VLC. I was using a Logitech Quickcam, but this started to malfunction and go black whenever I moved the laptop, so I assume there was a problem with the cable or something.

Today I replaced the Quickcam with a logitech C270 (which is HD compatible but I realise I don't have the resources necessary for this). Since then I cannot use skype and watch videos at the same time; the video slows down to a crawl. I used the drivers provided with the camera and have checked for updated versions just in case and installed those too.

I'm rather frustrated -- I don't see why installing a new webcam would cause me to be unable to watch videos and video call at the same time when I've done this easily up until now.

I notice both SVC host and "Interrupts" have 10%+ CPU usage during these times in Process Explorer (what is the "interrupts" process?).

Please help?

Thanks in advance :)

2. subhashchy

subhashchy

do you have a powerful graphics card ? If yes do you have the latest drivers installed ?

a HD video takes a much from the graphic processor and memory. If it is not good enough you can notice this..

3. Epilogic

Epilogic Thread Starter

The machine is a laptop and is using the built in Mobil intel Series 4 express graphics chipset, so no, it's not powerful. As I say, I realise that I don't meet the specifications for HD video, but according to the camera manual and website the HD only kicks in when the camera scans your system and finds the necessary resources. Certtainly my Skype picture is only 4:3 and not the HD 16:9 picture. I don't see why, if the HD isn't being used, it would be slowing down my computer.

There are no manual settings anywhere in the software to force the camera into a low res mode.

4. subhashchy

subhashchy

open 2 VLC screens, one your video and in 2nd, use "Open capture device" select the camera and then see if it does the samem..also in open capture device menu, there is some advanced settings where you can select the FPS and other things. Try adjusting that too and see if you can reproduce the problem with VLC too.

5. Epilogic

Epilogic Thread Starter

Hrm i went out and got a lower resolution P cam to see if that made any difference. It doesn't. In fact I then tried cancelling both my video and my partner's and just doing an audio call and still my VLC movie freezes up.

It's so weird. I never had this problem before today.

VLC plays fine when I don't have a call running. I tried using Windows Live instead of Skype, in case Skype was hogging resources, and the same thing happened.

I'm gogin to try a system restore to a few days ago when things were working fine and see if I can at least do an audio call without my video freezing. I have no idea what's wrong with this machine :-(

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1005392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice