1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Logitech Click Smart 510 web cam freezes XP???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kottawa, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kottawa

kottawa Thread Starter

I have an AMD Athlon, ASUS A7VI-VM motherboard, VIA ProSavage KM133 Chipset, 1.4 GHZ processor .70G HD and 256K memory.

I have fresh installed Windows XP. Since the install, when ever I launch the program for ClickSmart 510. I get a flash of video at startup, it then freezes and the whole program/computer freezes. This will also occur when I try to open Netmeeting. I am careful to open only one program at a time.

I get an error message “your camera is in use by another program, switch to end program”. When I switch, I get a program listed as “NewsUPD”. I have no idea as to what this program is for. It even appears if I have started the computer with no programs running in the background. I must manually restart the computer, to end the program. When I operated the camera on Win98 operating system. It worked great.

I have spent hours on the phone with both Logitech and Microsoft tech support, I have reinstalled the program and drivers numerous times, no success. Is there an adjustment I must make or an updated driver I should be using? Any help would be welcomed.

I consider myself a techno idiot. Detailed instructions would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Kevin

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

3. kottawa

kottawa Thread Starter

Thanks folks. I have disabled newsupd. The program still freezes.
    A couple of things I have tried. I pluged in another working clickcam and I had the same results. I was hoping my camera was defective. One thing I noticed is that when I open the program either from the quick start ot start menu, two copies of the program open. I still get the message that my program is in use by another program. When I click on switch programs it sends me to the start menu. How do I find the other program? When I check task manager the only program showing as running is logitech. No others apear on the list.

Thanks,
    Kevin

4. Brooks

Brooks Guest

What version of Quickcam are you using? You need at least 5.6 for XP.

Have you tried uninstalling the camera and then reinstalling it? I would think logitech would have had you do this, but you never know.

I wonder if the problem is with Microsoft Instant Messenger. It runs in the background on XP systems by default, and Logitech states that it will only work in one program at a time. Try disabling messenger.
    http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/display.asp?id=318

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice