1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Logitech Z5300 speakers: Doesnt require 5.1 sound card to run from all 5 speakers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FuzzyWuzzy, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FuzzyWuzzy

FuzzyWuzzy Thread Starter

This is what I heard. You can use matrix mode and when playing music, still get sound from all 5 speakers without a 5.1 card

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes you can, I have a set. However it doesn't sound as good as on a 5.1 capable sound card. Many speaker systems have something like this.

3. FuzzyWuzzy

Oh ok thanks triple, ya thats what I thought, you dont get the same power.

But if I run 2 speakers on a 2.1 sound card right now, it should sound pretty good right, just til I get a 5.1 card for my laptop.

How you liking it/ are they worth the $? I heard they dont pound as good as the Z680, series.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    They are a great set, I don't think I'll ever buy speakers from anyone else other then Logitech for a long time to come.

The 680's have a peak power of 1000 Watt, 500 RMS, versus the 5300's 560 Watt peak output. The 680's also have a digital or coax? input I think whereas the 5300's do not.

5. FuzzyWuzzy

triple the reason i ask is cause i will mainly be using them for music, rarely movies. So im wondering if i would still get a noticeable benefit using 5.1 card though its mainly ofr music.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The center channel sounds clearer and louder when on a 5.1 sound card then on Matrix. Oh, and MP3's don't have a center channel. You'll need to create one using the sound card or media player - so it probably won't matter too much at all if you end up using Matrix.

7. FuzzyWuzzy

triple.

Ok so with 5.1 card, its truly 4.1 sound then?

Do you think I should go out and get a 5.1 ext USB card for my laptop? Is it really nessecary though? If it will give my speakers, better sound and more omph, then I will. On 2.1 you should be able to get the same power anyways, just only with 2 speakers right.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob

Uhh, yes. With Matrix you will get output out of all 5 speakers and the sub no matter what the audio source is. The sound will still sound great.

Will you get better sound from an external audio card like an Audigy - absolutely. Most integrated sound card aren't that good for performance or quality.

DVD's, MP4's would have a Center Channel, many new games support a center channel as well.

9. FuzzyWuzzy

ok thanks.

I hope these speakers pound my hearts out. (y)

10. FuzzyWuzzy

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I have no experience with external sound cards, it is a sound blaster though and the internal cards are very good. I would think it would be better then what the laptop is equiped with. Have you check to see if you laptop supports 5.1 output? Sometimes they do - the Line In and MIC inputs double as the center and rear speaker outputs.

USB is more processor intensive interface then PCI or even Firewire.

12. FuzzyWuzzy

good pt triple, never thought of that. I dont know how to tell if my laptop supports 5.1

I have the toshiba satellite M30 1.5 centrino.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Check the manual, you'll probably find it before I find it on the net...checking now.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Don't think so.

15. FuzzyWuzzy

nope :( oh well

A thought.

does 5.1 sound defeat the purpose of having a Portable laptop.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/340232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice