1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LogMeIn Hamachi, I can't access my home PC any more, help please

Discussion in 'Networking' started by StoneRyno, Apr 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

So I had everything setup and I went over my parents house to test it with my tablet right after setting it all up. And it worked. I was able to do everything I do with it as if I were at home accessing it from my tablet. No updates to hamachi have occured (version is 2.2.0.328) and no settings have been changed in it, the router, DSL modem, or PC network and firewalls since when it was working that first time away from home using it. I mainly use the network shared drive. I have it mapped as S on my tablet. Now time after time without fail when I'm over my parents house or anywhere else I without fail can't access the PC. I get the error message: "An error occurred while reconnecting S: to \\MY-PC\Shared Microsoft Windows Networks: The network path was not found. This connection has not been restored." Remote Desktop Connection also can't connect. Though the need for using it would be rare I figured I would test it. LogMeIn Hamachi reports green status icon for the VPN connection and for my PC at home. I also checked my PC at home before I leave the house to make sure both are green status icon as well on the PC. Anyone able to help me solve this problem? Thanks

2. joecool99

joecool99

seems you were on the same network when you were testing it.
    did you ever successfully connect from other location?

the network path you are referring to is for LAN only. LOG ME IN is no longer free btw.
    also the VPN might me a problem.

try TEAM VIEWER instead. also test if you connect directly to internet without VPN. to see where the problem is.

3. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

No I tested it at my parents house after verifying the state of the VPN and the PC and tablet connection to it. And I was able to access my PC at home from my parents house. According to LogMeIn you can have up to 5 members for free. Since it is only my PC and tablet that is just 2 leaving me with more spaces if I wanted/needed. Anyways back to the test. When I was at my parents house (miles away and a different LAN). I tapped on the S drive in "this PC" just like I do at home to access the shared drive. And I was able to browse the files, copy them, add more files to it, load files from it etc. But ever since then I have not been able to access it.

At both my parents house and my house all forms of network activity work fine: internet, access stuff (my dads PC, streaming to TV with plex, etc) over LAN, same with at my house substituting my PC for my dads PC in the afore mentioned things. The only thing that isn't working now is accessing my PCs network shared drive when I'm away from home like it did the first time at my parents house.

4. joecool99

joecool99

do both run same OS with latest updates? latest and same version of logmein ?
    can you do Skype call?

5. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

PC is windows 7 with hamachi 2.2.0.328 and the tablet windows 8.1 with same hamachi 2.2.0.328. All critical and recommended updates from windows update installed on both. I have a skype account but don't have it installed on either PC or tablet because I never use it. Last time I used it was a year or two before I got the tablet which I've now had for about 3 years. I first installed and setup hamachi after the thread I started asking for a VPN recommendation, not quite two months ago.

6. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

I guess I'm going to have to try something other than hamachi. Unless there is a solution to this. I discovered more detail. When attempting to view the shared drive from the hamachi client it opens the local documents folder instead of the shared drive. This does not happen if I clean uninstall hamachi on both PC and tablet and install again. But once either or both PC or tablet are shutdown it fails to work again. But will work if I do the clean uninstall and install again. I tried searching for hours and came up empty handed. I'm concerned that if this is not specific to hamachi then I'm going to have the problem no matter what VPN I use. Please do reply with any troubleshooting or what not that I can do before I start with an alternative VPN. Thanks

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146604

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice